Doorbell Not working

Old 08-24-13, 10:59 AM
Doorbell Not working

Our doorbell has stopped working. There is no power to the push button (no light) and pushing the button does not ring the doorbell.

I checked all the GFI's, and none are tripped, nor are there any circuits in the house that don't appear to be working. All the circuit breakers for the house are OK. I am assuming it is a burned-out transformer. My problem is that I can't find it. The original drawings of the house electrical wiring are no help. I have looked in the usual locations for the transformer. Any ideas how I can find it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-13, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be mounted on the side of the breaker box, on a basement rafter below the chime location, or even in an attic. If you open the chime, you may be able to see which way the wires go as they enter the wall, and that may help guide you to the location.

You can also remove the push button and bridge the two contacts to see if the chime works and it is only a bad switch. You can do the same on the chime itself.

Old 08-24-13, 11:30 AM
The breaker box is mounted flush in the outside wall, so no way to see the side of it. There is no basement. Attic is a possibility, but with all that blown-in insulation up there, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I will open the chimes box and do some checking there as you suggest.

Old 08-24-13, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Often it is on the switch box or lampholder box for the attic light. If you have an air handler in the attic look there. Also pull the chime. Occasionally it is in a box behind the chime.

Old 08-24-13, 12:55 PM
I've also found them inside the panel. That's not someplace they're supposed to be, but that doesn't mean they're never put there.

Ours is mounted on a receptacle next to our furnace, in the basement. When it stops working we have to reset the GFCI in the main bathroom on the second floor.

I checked all the GFI's, and none are tripped,
Did you push TEST and RESET on each device?

Old 08-24-13, 02:06 PM
I've also found them inside the panel. That's not someplace they're supposed to be, but that doesn't mean they're never put there.
I've also seen them inside the panel and no, it shouldn't be there. Worst I ever saw was one buried in a wall behind the drywall.

Old 08-24-13, 02:30 PM
I have tested the GFI's, and made sure that things connected on those circuits will turn on.

My doorbell is made by Spartan Electric, Model No. C8819. There are two, 2-wire cables coming out of the wall to the doorbell. Each has a red and white wire. The red wires are tied together. One white goes to a terminal labeled Transformer, and the other white wire goes to a terminal labeled Front. I measure about 2.5 VAC across the two white wires.

Not sure how these things are wired up. I'm guessing that one side of the transformer goes to the Transformer terminal, and the other transformer lead goes through the doorbell button back to the terminal labeled Front.

Old 08-24-13, 03:49 PM
Yes, that's the way it's wired.

Use a short piece of wire to connect the red wire splice to the terminal labeled Front. If that gives you a chime replace the push button out front. If it doesn't, take the red wire splice apart, remove the white wire from the terminal labeled Transformer, and test between the white wire and each red wire for AC voltage. Don't let that white wire contact either red wire while you've got them apart.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-24-13 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-13, 04:00 PM
OK. I can do that. And thanks. Just one question. You said look for DC voltage. Did you mean AC voltage?

Old 08-24-13, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
You said look for DC voltage. Did you mean AC voltage?
Yes, Nash meant AC, DC was a typo.

Old 08-24-13, 05:17 PM
Nash meant AC, DC was a typo.
No it wasn't -- it was a mento. Thanks for catching and correcting it.

Old 08-24-13, 10:39 PM
Making progress. I connected the red wires to Front, and the doorbell rang. So it has to be outside. I discounted that initially because both the light and the bell were not working. I figured if both were out, it had to be somewhere else. Tomorrow I will pull the button to see what I can see.

Old 08-24-13, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
You'll probably find a wire broken off the button.
The wire is pretty fragile and if nicked when stripped it will break easy.

Old 08-25-13, 09:08 AM
You called it. Red wire broken off behind the button. Hard to believe it would break when it's protected by the switch cover, but I guess the switch flexes just enough that after 22 years of pushing, it finally broke the wire. Everything is good now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-25-13, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad we could help.