Run power to a shed about 225 feet away

Old 08-25-13, 08:12 PM
Run power to a shed about 225 feet away

I have a 60 amp breaker to hook up to run power to a shed about 225 feet away. It will run through a back yard and a swale that is wet about a third of the year, I want to run lighting, woodwork shop tools, and a small 220 welder. What size and type of wire should I run? Id like to use direct bury unless there is some good reason not to (like code or physics).

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-13, 08:21 PM
Go with #2 AWG aluminum wire. It will be far cheaper than copper and will do the job just fine. IF you want to go direct burial you need to get URD cable which is rated for that, but you'll have to burry it at 24" deep. Then sleeve it in conduit where it comes out of the ground and goes into the box. If you go with PVC conduit you can run #2 type XHHW wires and then your burial depth goes to 18".

Old 08-25-13, 08:43 PM
A 225' wiring run may result in a significant drop in voltage, depending on the total supplied load. To determine the best wiring type and size, plug the exact information about your loads into a Residential Load Calculator. Post back with the results of that and we can tell you how to calculate the wiring you'll need, or calculate it for you.

I would run PVC conduit with individual conductors, using sch 40 underground and sch 80 above ground. It's easier, IMO, it allows for changes or upgrades in the future, and it saves you 6" of depth in the trench. Remember that you'll need 4 wires either way. You'll also need to establish an independent path to ground at the shed.

Old 08-26-13, 01:25 PM
And hope your inspector allows digging up the swale. When I built my house the inspector classified a drainage swale (road runoff) as a protected area and made us directional bore underneath it so that the bed wasn't disturbed. I decided to do what he wanted instead of fight him on it because it was early on in the project and we all know a good relationship with the inspector is critical, but it certainly added expense that wasn't anticipated.

Old 08-26-13, 03:10 PM
To get an Excel template that's ready for you to plug your values into, click on the first link in Mike Holt Residential Load Calculator.