Help Needed, with wiring infloor heating for a bathroom.

Old 08-26-13, 11:41 PM
Help Needed, with wiring infloor heating for a bathroom.

Hi, I am remodelling 2 bathrooms, and was hoping to convert the electric baseboards to electric infloor heating. A few questions I have are :
1) Can I use the existing wiring feed from the baseboard to run to my heating wires, either by a junction box or direct connect ? A few notes are....the baseboards are small 500 w units, the bathrooms are 15 and 25 sq ft in size... the manufacturer says I need a dedicated circuit for each, but also says in a tutorial that I can use the existing wires feeding the old baseboard ( but it is not very clear).... the new floor heating system runs off of a wall thermostat....I've already bought the floor wiring kits, they are 120v....the heating system is Warmwire...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

ssiman

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-13, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The only problem I see is getting the wiring from the baseboard heater to the thermostat, which will be 4' higher. You can't add wiring without a junction box that must remain exposed and covered at all times. If you can get around that, then you can use the power from the baseboards. Make sure the baseboard heat is 120 volt.

Old 08-27-13, 06:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many baseboard heaters are 240 volt. You may need to make some wiring changes in the panel if yours are 240 and not 120.

Old 08-27-13, 11:09 AM
The circuits for your in-floor heating will have to be GFCI Protected.

Old 08-27-13, 12:58 PM
yes thanks, the t-stat has a built in GFCI.

Old 08-27-13, 01:02 PM
Hi Chandler, thanks for your comments. Yes, the junction box will be there and exposed. I will check but I think the baseboard heater is 240 v..... any idea what I would have to do to accomodate the 2 different voltages ?

Old 08-27-13, 01:35 PM
I will check but I think the baseboard heater is 240 v..... any idea what I would have to do to accomodate the 2 different voltages?
It dependsd on how they're wired but, if they're straight 240 V with 2 hots and a ground and a 2-pole 240V breaker, you should be able to replace the breaker with a single-pole 120V breaker and move one of the two wires in the panel to the neutral bar.

Tell us the type (240 or 120) of circuit, the size (amp rating) it is now, and the size of the wire. Also tell us the amp load of the kit for each room.

Old 08-27-13, 03:10 PM
Ok, thanks again for your help. I'm out of town for a few days but will check these items at weeks end.
Cheers

Old 08-27-13, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just click back on this thread and keep it going so we don't get lost. We'll be here.