Adding a new outlet to an existing outlet

Old 08-27-13, 09:09 PM
Adding a new outlet to an existing outlet

Hi - thanks in advance for any help.

I am looking to add an outlet (for a flat panel tv) to an existing outlet. I have all my wires run and now ready to connect to the existing outlet.

Question is - the existing outlet has 2 white wires connected to the outlet via the holes in the back and 1 black wire connected to one of the other 2 holes in the back. Can I just add my new outlet by using the screw terminals? Or should I do something else.

Thanks again for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-13, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
The holes in the back (back stabs) should not be used for pass thru power like what you have there.

You should remove the two white wires from the back of the receptacle, connect those two wires with your new wire and an additional tail (short piece of wire) that can be connected back to the receptacle.

Same thing for black. Remove it from the receptacle and make up a three wire splice with tail.

Old 08-27-13, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
the existing outlet has 2 white wires connected to the outlet via the holes in the back
The holes in the back can be unreliable. Most here recommend never using them. Remove the existing wire from the back stabs and screws. Connect all the black wires to a black pigtai of the same gage 6'-8' long. Connect all the white wires to a white pigtai of the same gage 6'-8' long. Connect the pigtails to the screws on the receptacles, white to silver and black to brass.

Tip fot the future: Since you now know you have backstabs should power ever go out in a room one of the first steps after checking GFCIs will be to move all the wires on the receptacles on the circuit to the screws.

Old 08-27-13, 09:33 PM
Ok - thanks - there looks to be some wire nuts (one set of white and one set of black) behind the receptacle already then connevted to the existin outlet - is it ok to just connect the new receptecal wires those wire nuts?

Old 08-27-13, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
If the receptacle is tied to those wire nutted connections..... then you should be able to just have just two splices.

The two white wires on the receptacle and only one black is a little strange.

Old 08-27-13, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Could you please post pictures from a couple of angles with the wires connected but pulled out. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 08-28-13, 09:57 AM
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  27.9 KBThanks for your help - here is a picture - hopefully that will let you know what I'm dealing with.

Old 08-28-13, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Is there a wire nut with two or more white wires we can't see? Looks a bit strange. I will wait for the answer to that question before I suggest how to add the new receptacle. I think I know but want to be sure. Is half that receptacle on a switch? If so we need to see the wiring at the switch also.

Old 08-28-13, 10:30 AM
It appears from your picture that the hot wires were spliced together with a pigtail added to connect to the receptacle, but that wasn't done for the neutrals. Not sure why.

To tap off this box to feed a new one, you should splice all the neutrals together and add a white pigtail. You can add the black to the existing black splice and the ground to the existing ground splice. Connect the two insulated pigtails to the appropriate side screw terminals on this receptacle, not to the back-stab holes.

Old 08-28-13, 11:18 AM
Thanks for everyones help. There is no switch for this receptacle. I looks a though the white wires are coming from two wires coming in to the box and then the black wires are connected via the wire nut.