Wiring question

Old 08-28-13, 08:15 AM
Wiring question

I'm in the midstís of re-wiring my house I just bought that has knob and tube wiring. My bathroom light I re-wired to a junction box mounted near the ceiling of the kitchen just on the other side, which is then wired to the bathroom light switch, which is then wired to a kitchen receptacle just on the other side which is going to become just another junction box as I remove that receptacle and put in a separate one on a separate circuit for the kitchen. There is a back porch/mudroom adjacent to the bathroom/kitchen that has a light and an outside back doory light that I wired into the same junction box the bathroom light is wired into, since its convenient to do so. The light in the mudroom has a junction box that the outside light is wired into and that light is a pull down chain style with no wall switch. From there its wired into the junction box mounted above the door way to the bathroom.

Well the problem now is the bathroom light controls those lights as well, so they won't turn on unless the bathroom light switch is on. This would make sense since the power in the junction box is being controlled by the bathroom light switch where the power is coming into below from the receptacle. Whatís the easiest way to fix this so that I can still run those wires from the porch lights into that junction box so I don't have to run a completely new line to power those lights? Hereís a diagram of the wiring currently.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There really is no easy way around it...... you have to get a feed to the second switch or a two wire cable between switches.

Name:  backCircuit.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 08-28-13, 08:37 AM
If you wire it the way PJ diagrammed it, then the switch by the back door will control both the outside light and the mudroom light. If you run the cable first to the mudroom light and then to the back door switch the mudroom light will still be controllable with a pull chain, or you could add a switch for it on a switch loop.

You could also run the new cable first to a new switch for the mudroom light and then to the switch for the back door light, and abandon the wiring between the mudroom light and the outside light.

Old 08-28-13, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. Dang I was hoping I wouldn't have to run a new line but I guess that would be the only way to power those lights individually.

Old 08-29-13, 07:08 AM
What about this? Running a second power wire (red) to the junction box and connecting that to the wire that runs to the back/outdoor light circuit? Or am I going to have the same problem where now the outside light won't turn on unless the mudroom light is turned on? (again its on a pull chain, not a switch)

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-13, 07:31 AM
What about this? Running a second power wire (red) to the junction box and connecting that to the wire that runs to the back/outdoor light circuit? Or am I going to have the same problem where now the outside light won't turn on unless the mudroom light is turned on? (again its on a pull chain, not a switch)
Are you installing conduit? A single conductor - a wire - cannot be installed outside a raceway. A cable is considered a raceway.

You can run a new circuit feed, using cable, from either the receptacle box or the bathroom switch box to either the mudroom light to separate it from the outdoor light.

Old 08-29-13, 07:55 AM
No conduit. Just straight romex 14-2 wire. What I want to do is run a new wire from the receptacle (since this is what will give it power) to the junction box above the bathroom door where the wire is connected from the mudroom and connect that wire to the wire that runs between the studs and through the wall that goes to the mudroom light, which the outside light is also connected to. Would this work or would the mudroom pull chain light now control the outside light as well, which is what I don't want.

Old 08-29-13, 08:00 AM
It would be a bit of a trick to make the pull chain control anything but that fixture.

No, that won't work. You need to get a new cable to the mudroom light fixture to feed it separately. Or to feed the back door light from there, either one.

Wiring Simplified is an excellent and inexpensive resource for much of this information.

Old 08-29-13, 08:19 AM
That's exactly what I want to do though only the new cable is going to connect to the mudroom/outside light at the junction box since the wire has been cut there and I want to avoid having to run a new wire out to the mudroom if at all possible, since its there already but ends at the junction box. The bathroom light is only sharing that junction box but none of the other wires for the back lights will be connected to it. They're being fed by the same power source but with 2 different wires at the junction box.

Old 08-29-13, 08:25 AM
You're right. Once you get unswitched power to the mudroom you're good to go. Sorry i got confused earlier.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-29-13 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Correct misinformation
Old 08-29-13, 09:44 AM
No problem thanks for the help! The only other thing I just need a bit of clarification on is the mudroom light with the pull chain wonít interrupt the power to the outside light will it? Unlike a typical light switch, a pull down chain light will still let power through to the other light, even if its off? The power would be flowing to the outside light first after the mudroom light, and then to the outside light switch last.

Old 08-29-13, 09:46 AM
I can't think of any way you could make that fixture control anything else, so long as you use two pigtails to connect it to the hot and neutral passing through.