Unusal Breaker setup

Old 08-28-13, 11:20 AM
Unusal Breaker setup

Name:  breaker.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  42.0 KB

Greetings,

I have an outdoor well pump that hasn't worked in about a week. It's on a vacation home, so I have a neighbor checking into it for me now. He has located what appears to be the breaker for the pump on an outdoor panel. One breaker appears tripped, one off. He claims that because of the metal pivot piece in the middle, he cannot toggle the switches in either direction. I have never seen a setup like this, it appears that it only allows one or the other switches to be on.
Does anyone know how to reset this breaker? Picture attached.

Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
That appears to be a generator interlock. Is there a 30 amp inlet for a generator? It appears it was set up so the pump could be powered from the house or a generator but just guessing with out seeing it with the cover off.

Old 08-28-13, 12:00 PM
There is an hookup for a generator in another panel. As the house was built over 10 years ago, all I remember the electrician saying about the generator was that if I connected to the other panel, to make sure that the main switch to the outside world is off. So, what you're saying is that only one side at a time should be on, and we should be able to reset the left side (as it appears that was the one that has tripped). I won't be able to look inside the panel until the middle of next week, so if I ask my neighbor to reset the one switch, should be ok?

Old 08-28-13, 12:07 PM
So, what you're saying is that only one side at a time should be on, and we should be able to reset the left side (as it appears that was the one that has tripped).
I think that would be safe to do as long as you don't even think about connecting a generator to this till you get a competent electrician to look it over, additional work may be required to make it safe for use with a generator.

Old 08-28-13, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
all I remember the electrician saying about the generator was that if I connected to the other panel, to make sure that the main switch to the outside world is off.
And that is why Joe wrote:
get a competent electrician to look it over
No competent electrician would say that.

Old 08-28-13, 01:34 PM
Unusual Breaker setup

Thanks for the tips, will ask the neighbor to try this evening. The electrician that told me that info was the owner of the company that wired the entire house (and he did a lot of the manual effort too). Fortunately haven't had any other electrical problems.

Before I ever plug in the generator, will have an electrician come out. Should do so soon as this house is on the NC coast, and the area is hurricane prone.

Old 08-28-13, 06:50 PM
Should do so soon as this house is on the NC coast, and the area is hurricane prone.
That makes it even more important to get a competent electrician in there soon and not the one who wired the house. This is serious, it should never be left to memory to disconnect the wiring system from the outside world for a generator to be used. In a short forgetful moment with the stress of getting your generator up and running during a storm, a lineman could be killed.