Ground in a non grounded circut

Old 08-28-13, 01:33 PM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ground in a non grounded circut

Another small project and another request for advice.

I installed a new ceiling fan for my daughter and am about to install a small LED light in her closet.

The old wiring in her room has no ground, and the ceiling fan has a ground wire that connects to the ceiling box, but the box is not grounded.

The wire I am running up into the closet is 14-2 and will be grounded, but the LED light has 16-2 lamp wire without a ground.

For both of these applications:

Is there any gain at all grounding the fan to a box that is not grounded?

The LED light will have grounded wire to the new switch and ungrounded beyond the switch, is that normal?

Thank you,

Old 08-28-13, 04:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
By code you can not extend an ungrounded circuit. If the closet circuit does noy already exist you must run it from a grounded source such as the panel.

Old 08-28-13, 05:30 PM
K
Ray,

Do I ground the ceiling fan to the box, know the box is not grounded because the old wiring is 2 wire no ground?

The closet line is new wire from a grounded source 14-2, but the light came with lamp wire (16-2) which does not have a ground, so that would make it ungrounded beyond the switch to the light.

Old 08-28-13, 05:51 PM
Do I ground the ceiling fan to the box, know the box is not grounded because the old wiring is 2 wire no ground?n
Or just coil the wire up out of the way. If the box isn't grounded it serves no purpose to connect the wire to the box.

The closet line is new wire from a grounded source 14-2, but the light came with lamp wire (16-2) which does not have a ground, so that would make it ungrounded beyond the switch to the light.
Was this manufactured as a light you plug in? If so the plug should not be removed and it should not be hard wired. Further lamp cord is not rated for use inside walls.

Old 08-28-13, 06:24 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Lamp cord isn't rated for use inside electrical boxes either. How is this fixture designed to be mounted and connected?

Old 08-28-13, 07:08 PM
K
ray2047
Was this manufactured as a light you plug in? If so the plug should not be removed and it should not be hard wired. Further lamp cord is not rated for use inside walls.
Nashkat1
Lamp cord isn't rated for use inside electrical boxes either. How is this fixture designed to be mounted and connected?
There are 2 versions of this light, one with raw wiring for ceiling mount and one with a plug.
I was considering cutting off the plug and hard wiring to a small switch, from Ray's last post, I take it that is a "no go".

It is a small light in the closet and the wiring does not run through any walls, I am aware lamp wire can not be run between walls.

I will install a full plug in the closet and go with the plugged version that has an inline on/off switch. I was leaning against this version of the setup as it meant a little more loose wire in the closet.

Thank you guys,

Old 08-28-13, 07:16 PM
You can used a switched receptacle and run the cord in a Wiremold extension cord protector. You could even put the receptacle in the ceiling next to the light.

Old 08-28-13, 07:36 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You can also use Wiremold to extend the receptacle box, run from there to a switch box and from there to a round fixture box where you would mount the light that's made for that. You can run through the fixture box on your way to the switch if that's a cleaner install. You wind up with no loose wire either way.

How hot does this light get and how close will it be to anything flammable?

Old 09-07-13, 11:19 AM
K
Thank you for the wiremold suggestion.
I did the fan last week but only had time to do the light now.
I changed gears and used a full size switch in a box and ran 14-2 all the way to the light.

Old 09-07-13, 01:21 PM
Good choice of methods. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: