Incandesent table lamp flashing

Old 08-30-13, 07:52 AM
Incandesent table lamp flashing

I have a table lamp that slightly dims when I run my laser jet printer. Does it every time I print a page. Lamp is on the same circuit as 6 other receptacles. Do you think it's a bad connection or is the printer causing high loads, dropping the voltage?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-13, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Laser printers are pretty high draw devices. Does the lamp dim when plugged into any of the other outlets?

It wouldn't hurt to remove each receptacle and tighten each connection or if backstabbed (not backwired), move the connections to the side screws.

Old 08-30-13, 08:01 AM
I have a table lamp that slightly dims when I run my laser jet printer. Does it every time I print a page. Lamp is on the same circuit as 6 other receptacles. Do you think it's a bad connection or is the printer causing high loads, dropping the voltage?
It's probably the voltage dropping slightly because of the load of the laser printer. How many watts (or amps) is the laser printer rated at? Is this a 15 amp circuit?

Old 08-30-13, 11:30 AM
The laserjet says 2.2 amps for power at 120 volts. I tried plugging the laser jet into the bottom outlet (top is wall switched bottom is always on) and still get the dimming. Most of these receptacles use all four quick connects on the back and two of the screw terminals. I found one of those quick connects would blink the light when I moved it but that did not fix the print problem. Are those quick connects that bad? I think I will change the wiring to use only the screw terminals. Will wire nut the junctions and have a jumper to the two side terminals.

Old 08-30-13, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Use pigtails as much as possible to decrease the number of connections at the receptacle.

Old 08-30-13, 05:48 PM
Are those quick connects that bad?
Yep, they aren't very reliable over the long term. It doesn't take much of a voltage dip to slightly dim a light, how far do you want to go? After the backstabbed wires are moved to the screws on receptacles, I think I'd check the voltage at the receptacle where the lamp is plugged in and watch the meter for a dip when the printer starts. Is this a 15 or 20 amp circuit?

Old 08-30-13, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
The "light dimming" is pretty normal with a laser printer. Usually you only see it at the start of a printing session. It's the heating element being energized.

With mine.....when I print I get the lights blinking once at the beginning. If I print another page within a certain time....like 2-3 minutes..... I don't get the blink again. Over that time and it'll blink again. Every printer has a different standby time.

As the others have suggested.....any loose or questionable connections will accentuate the issue.

Old 08-30-13, 07:00 PM
Loose connections anywhere along the daisy chain of receptacles making up this branch circuit from the panel to the receptacle in question can result in dimming of a light as the printer starts up.

If you physically touch or move a connection or quick connect clip or the receptacle itself or a wire nut and the light blinks then you have a severe loose connection that you should fix immediately for fear it could overheat and start a fire.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-30-13 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 03:04 AM
Thanks to all. I have not checked if this is a 20 amp or 15 amp circuit (I did not shut off the breaker when I pulled the receptacles to look for intermittents). The dimming is more so when the printer first starts. You really only see it if looking directly at the light. The light is also at the end of the daisy chain since it only has single wires.