GFCI Wiring help needed

Old 08-31-13, 02:04 PM
GFCI Wiring help needed

Hello Everyone.

I am very new to wiring, so I apologize in advance for any silly questions or omissions.

My problem is that I have a 15A single pole GFCI circuit breaker that constantly trips. The breaker is isolated for a jacuzzi tub motor. I believe that I have ruled out the breaker as the problem, as the neutral and load wire are attached to the breaker correctly (attached to breaker and then out of panel), and the neutral wire from the circuit breaker is attached to the neutral bar in the panel. With the main breaker turned off, the GCFI breaker will remain in the 'on' position.

From the breaker a 12/2 wire travels +/-20ft to a timer switch (install instructions - http://communities.leviton.com/servl...02%20LTB12.pdf). This switch is currently being installed.

From the timer a 12/2 wire travels to a switch box in the access panel for the tub motor (+/-15ft travel distance).

The motor specs are as follows (the lable doesn't give any other info):
3/4hp
9.2 amps

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs additional info, just let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-13, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It is obvious the GFCI is doing its job, and you have a ground fault. Either that, or a malfunctioning GFCI. Detach the wiring from before the new switch or at a junction point, cap the wires and return the breaker to the on position and see what happens.

Old 09-01-13, 10:37 AM
Disconnecting At Switch

Thanks for your reply Chandler, your help is greatly appreciated. I just tried what you suggested, and unfortunately the breaker trips right away. Does this mean that I need to replace the GFCI breaker? I am assuming that this is the case, as there shouldn't be anything left to trip the breaker....

Old 09-01-13, 10:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are right. If there is no other items between the breaker and the switch, and unless there is a break in one of the wire casings where it is grounding out, you may have a bad breaker. If you have junction boxes or other breaks in the cable, disconnect them as you go to see if you can localize it.

Old 09-01-13, 11:11 AM
Have you tried unhooking both the branch circuit hot wire (load wire) and neutral wire from the GFCI breaker itself and then flipping the breaker on?

The GFCI breaker would be defective if it trips with nothing attached to its load terminal.

Another cause would be more than one branch circuit entering an outlet box or junction box further on and their neutrals got combined which is improper.

Old 09-02-13, 11:37 PM
I will have to look into the neutral wires being crossed somewhere else. This does sound like a possibility, and would save me having to buy a new breaker. I will report back once I have tracked this down.