Can These Be Tn the Weather?

Old 09-01-13, 08:07 PM
Can These Be Tn the Weather?

I had a number of L14 connectors at my land yesterday and it started raining. Which raised the question, can these be in the weather? They were simply laying in the grass getting rained on...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-13, 09:17 PM
All the ones I've ever worked with that could be in the weather had a cover for the mating faces. If that black sleeve slides up to do that it should probably be good to go.

Old 09-01-13, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
The water won't in particularly hurt them. They will dry out. They aren't sealed to the water so they do present a shock hazard just like a regular extension cords do.

Old 09-01-13, 11:43 PM
If that black sleeve slides up to do that it should probably be good to go.
That gave me a chuckle. I can tell that Nashkat has never even seen one of these particular connectors. The seam where the white meets the black is where the connector comes apart for wiring, there is no sliding sleeve.

Why not simply use a plastic sack to enclose the connector and plug? Use a bread wrapper with the closed end cut off and then tie it to the cable on each end. It won't meet any definition of "watertight" but it will keep the rain out of the connection.

Old 09-02-13, 06:15 AM
The connectors and plugs that the the cord grip in the outside are not listed raintight however, the type that have the cord grip on the inside with the rubber grommet are.

I would still cover it somehow like a plastic bag or something.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-13, 06:44 AM
Thankfully most of mine have the outer grommet . I was mostly curious because I see these things being run in storms a lot, and here I was.

I'm not even going to ask about the 14-50 receptacles and plugs, I KNOW they're not.

Old 09-04-13, 12:04 AM
One way to enhance twist-lock plugs is to glue a thin rubber washer to either the male or female plug face.