Need help identifying exterior outlet and its purpose

Old 09-03-13, 06:23 PM
Need help identifying exterior outlet and its purpose

Hello,

On the side of my house there is a funky looking outlet with a cover which has a 20A two pole breaker. I have attached pictures. I believe this was directly connected to the main breaker panel before. It looks like maybe it was used for a generator? Could someone explain this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-13, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That wouldn't be a generator connection point. It looks more like a circuit put in to run a 240v 20 amp device...... like maybe a small welder or air compressor or Chevy Volt car charger.

Old 09-03-13, 10:09 PM
Thanks. Do you see any issue with me changing the breaker to a single pole 20A, putting a 20A 120V outlet and wiring it to a standalone outlet inside of the house somewhere so that I can connect the generator to the exterior outlet and bring power for emergency use to that standalone outlet? The standalone outlet would not be wired to anything else.

Old 09-03-13, 10:58 PM
You would have to use an inlet fitting, essentially a male plug inside the weatherproof enclosure. You would have to change the current wiring to the circuit breaker panel as well. I think I would rather just install the inlet with a "bubble" (in-use) cover along with new wiring to the dedicated receptacle in the house and leave the present CB panel and receptacle alone.