Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

need help please with ADORNE OUTLET and ADORNE NIGHTLIGHT MODULE

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-13, 04:29 PM

Legrand Adorne Installation help required

Hi all,
I have purchased 1x Legrand Tamper-Resistant Outlet ARTR152M4 and 1x Legrand Adorne Nightlight, 1-Module AANLM14 and wanted to install these in my bedroom.

When I removed the old outlet, I found the following:
2x black wires, 2x white wires, 1x red wire and 1x copper wire

When I installed the Legrand Outlet, all is working well and no problem, connected as follows:

PDF here for the outlet:
http://www.legrand.us/~/media/adorne...t_ARTR152.ashx

1x black wire to one HOT terminal (side by side, left side)
1x black wire to one HOT terminal (side by side, left side)
1x white wire to one WHITE terminal (side by side)
1x red wire to one HOT terminal (right side, alone)
1x green/ copper ground wire to ground/ green wire

 Also BROKE OFF SPLIT CIRCUIT TAB on the outlet
 So all works great with the light switch and the outlet ON/ and OFF via switch in bedroom

BUT here comes the problem, when trying to install the NIGHT LIGHT 1x module same place, under the outlet, no clue where and how to connect the wires of the NIGHT LIGHT.

PDF here to the night light which I canít get to work:
http://www.legrand.us/~/media/adorne...LM14_7-23.ashx

1x white wire, no idea how and where to connect to in the same outlet
1x black wire, no idea how and where to connect to in the same outlet

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-13, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Leave the switched red connected to the switched half of the receptacle. Remove all other wires from the receptacle.. Connect all blacks to a pigtail. Connect the pigtail to the unswitched brass screw of the receptacle. Connect all the whites to a pigtail. Connect the pigtail to one of the silver screws.

Old 09-05-13, 07:02 AM
pictures provided

hi there, maybe with pictures makes more sense and you guys can help me out, thanks in advance for all your help.
Name:  IMG_2538.jpg
Views: 4897
Size:  11.7 KBName:  IMG_2539.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  17.9 KBName:  IMG_2535.jpg
Views: 4284
Size:  30.9 KBName:  IMG_2537.jpg
Views: 3040
Size:  16.4 KBName:  IMG_2533.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  40.2 KBName:  IMG_2533.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  40.2 KB

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-13, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
The device can not be wired as a half switched receptacle. Follow my previous instructions except cap the red. You will no be able to control the receptacle with a switch. If you want the whole device switched wire nut the blacks together and use the red to the device black. Both night light and receptacle will be switched.

Old 09-05-13, 11:29 AM
thank you so much, will try when back home and update you, thanks again!

Old 09-14-13, 07:25 AM
hi there, its weird, i tried and the light worked only once, after that not working, had to completely disconnect and wire again, connected and working and then again only once it worked, i tried this 2-3 times on 2x other outlets in the house, but the nightlight behaves the same on all outlets/ connections.
any suggestions? thanks in advanve for your support and efforts.

Old 09-14-13, 02:07 PM
It sounds like you may have gotten a bad nightlight module and need to exchange it. Before doing that, though, have you tried connecting it by splicing the wires and adding pigtails as shown in step 4 of of the nightlight installation instructions?

If you have 4 wires plus a ground, use wire nut to connect
both HOT wires together with HOT wire from night light.
Connect both WHITE wires together with WHITE wire from
night light. To maintain existing wire circuit, a jumper wire
must be added for second device (outlet).
If you want to control the receptacle from a switch, terminate the red wire and keep the black wire splice separate. If you want to leave the switch out of it, cap off the red wire and add a pigtail to the black wire splice to terminate to the receptacle.

In either case, follow the instructions for two wires and a ground. The receptacle cannot be half-switched, it appears.

Old 10-29-13, 08:30 AM
Half the adorne outlet absolutely can be split circuit and controlled by a light switch as you successfully did at the begining. It appears your issue is the night light. I believe the red wire comes from the light switch, so it will only have power when the switch is on. So do not hook the night light to the red wire (unless you only want night light on when switch is on, seems unlikely). The white wire to the night light goes to neutral, which should be the white wire(s) in the box. The other wire needs constant hot (not the red), so I like the idea posted to pigtail all the blacks (including night light) and a additional short wire together and run this short wire to the other side of the HOT terminal opposite where the red wire is attached.
You mentioned that the night light only works once, quick question, is it bright or dark in the room? The night light will only come on when it is dark in the room, it may come on once when first energized, you can hold your hand over the light to mimic the dark room. Hopefully it is that simple.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-29-13, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forums, Rohmer!

Since the discussion in this thread ended awhile ago, I've closed it to further replies. It's still here to be read, though, as anyone can see.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 10-29-13 at 09:54 AM.
Closed Thread