Isolated electrical/power outages in home

Old 09-06-13, 12:02 AM
Isolated electrical/power outages in home

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum or not but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who is an electrical professional or has experienced the same thing. We moved into a new house a little over a month ago and shortly after, I noticed that the power in one of the upstairs bedrooms was not working. The ceiling fan and light as well as the outlets do not work. It is fine in the surrounding rooms and halls.

Then, the lights on both sided of our front door in the enclosed courtyard out front have stopped working. There are about three bulbs in each light, so it's not a situation where the bulbs have burned out. Then the two recessed lights in our outdoor courtyard just stopped working as well. It's a small enclosed courtyard but the front gate is unlocked. Now I'm nervous as it's totally dark outside by our front door. Please tell me that someone is familiar with this as an electrical problem and it's not the work of someone wanting to limit our security.

We have three circuit break boxes in our home and I have flipped all of the circuits several times to reset them and nothing has changed. While we live in a safe neighborhood, I'm still nervous about all of the lights out front suddenly not working. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-13, 12:40 AM
Were these losses of power all at the same time or was there a delayed time period between them going out? It IS possible that all are on the same circuit and therefore it would be a bit easier to find the problem.

Approximately what age is your house and have you done, or had done, any kind of remodeling or even just hanging of pictures fairly soon before noticing the loss of power?

Old 09-06-13, 12:59 AM
Thanks for responding. These losses of power happened at different times. The upstairs bedroom (relatively above the issues in the courtyard) happened over a month ago. Then a couple of weeks ago the lights right outside the front door went out. Subsequently, I lost power to another room upstairs but that came back on. Then tonight I noticed that the two recessed lights outside were now not working.

We have not done anything to the house that could have caused this. Prior to moving in a little over a month ago, we had a GFCI receptacle repaired. The house is about five to six years old. Now that you mention it, I did hang two pictures in a bathroom fairly close to the courtyard. Pictures had ben hung on that wall previously, but I don't think it was in the exact same spot.

Old 09-06-13, 01:13 AM
Group Moderator
The house is 5-6 years old with all these issues ?

I would check the bulbs. Take them out and check continuity of them or replace them.

Old 09-06-13, 01:26 AM
I asked about the pictures on the walls because sometimes (it is rare) driving a nail for a picture hanger in the wall can damage an electrical cable.

The age of your home leads me to think that your problem is coming from what are called "back stabbed" connections to the various light switches and receptacles. Although UL approved back stabs are notorious for becoming loose and causing poor or broken connections. Although the fix is easy it is also tedious and time consuming to find the problem. You will need to remove ALL of the switches and receptacles and check for back stabbed connections. If you have single wires you need to move them to the screw terminals and if multiple wires you need to add what is called a "pigtail" to connect to the screw terminal.

If you are not familiar with working on electrical equipment we can help to educate you.

Old 09-06-13, 01:35 AM
Ok, I really appreciate your feedback. I don't have much electrical experience at all but I will check it out further when I get back into town. Thanks a lot.