GFCI subpanel

Old 09-07-13, 08:22 PM
GFCI subpanel

Is there anything wrong with putting all of the kitchen, bathroom, and garage receptacles on a GFCI protected subpanel? I'm wiring a new house and this seems like a great way to save money and complaints of 'ugly' gfci outlets, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-13, 08:33 PM
I assume you mean to use a two-pole GFCI circuit breaker to feed the sub-panel. If so, that means a whole lot of receptacles will go dark when the GFCI trips.

Old 09-08-13, 07:42 AM
That seems to me like an expensive way to provide GFCI protection and like Furd mentioned ALL GFCI outlets would be dead. It could be a nightmare finding a single little problem while the homeowner stews. As we all know, a lot of homeowners like to DIY. You are going to have a homeowner who hates you the first time they have a problem. If you are looking for a way to save money and do a slick installation, look at the new panels by Cutler-Hammer and Square D with the plug-in neutral AFCI breakers.

Old 09-09-13, 06:24 AM
I will talk to the homeowner to see if he wants it. I wanted to put in a Square D plug-on neutral panel, but the homeowner already purchased and installed GE panels.