Outside Outlets have no power.

Old 09-08-13, 09:17 AM
Outside Outlets have no power.

3 weeks ago I was using a electric hedge trimmer with an extension cord plugged into an outside outlet. The electric trimmer nicked the extension cord and the outlet went dead. It tripped the GFCI in the garage and I reset it. I didn't check that outlet again since I damaged my extension cord and didn't have another one. I went to go use an outlet on the side of my house and discovered it had no power. I checked the other 2 outside outlets and they also have no power. I have only 1 GFCI in the garage and have reset that twice. I have 2 GFCI in the kitchen and 1 in each bathroom. Not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 09:24 AM
Trust me, I know nothing about electrical stuff but try the breaker that controls those outlets. Even if it doesn't look tripped, turn it all the way off and all the way on to make sure it didn't trip.

I learned that trick on here.

Old 09-08-13, 09:26 AM
Check for power on the GFCI itself, not the little green light, but for voltage on the terminal screw.
If there is voltage going into the GFCI but not out of it, then you fried it when you nicked the drop cord.
If there if voltage coming out of the GFCI, but none on your outside receptacles, then you likely fried the connection to the "first" receptacle from the GFCI, or fried the receptacle itself.

Old 09-08-13, 09:31 AM
Thanks, I done that already and it didn't work.

Old 09-08-13, 09:34 AM
I switched out the outlet with a non GFCI and it still didn't work. So should change out the "first" receptacle in the line?

Old 09-08-13, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a volt meter to do some checks. Start where the GFCI 1st tripped and see if you have 120 volts coming in.

Old 09-08-13, 11:44 AM
Do you have power going to the receptacle that you changed out is the first question?
Is that what "still didn't work?"
or is it "only" the outside wall receptacle's that don't work.
Is the circuit breaker that controls that circuit fried, which would cut power to the GFCI that you indicate you changed with a non GFCI?
In other words, exactly where does power stop.
If power is coming from the circuit breaker, but not reaching the changed out receptacle, then my best guess is a fried wire between breaker and receptacle.