Conduit Beneath Footing ?

Old 09-08-13, 10:45 AM
Conduit Beneath Footing ?

Just wondering if it's okay to run the conduit to my swimming pool beneath the house footing? My footing is releatively shallow so there's no problem punching a hole from the trench into the crawl space. If I have to run the conduit through the foundation, there's going to be considerable exposure in order to clear the footing increasing the risk of it being hit by a lawnmower, etc.

Also, can a water line be run in the same trench with the electrical conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 10:55 AM
I don't currently know of any reason why you "couldn't" run electrical conduit beneath your existing foundation.
As for running water line and electrical conduit in the same trench, I don't know the code on that.
But if you do run them in the same trench, be certain that the water line is standard PVC, and that the electrical conduit is either EPVC or metal so that sometime in the future, if the trench needs to be dug up for some reason, it can easily be distinguished that one is electrical and the other is water so that someone doesn't mistakenly cut into the wiring when trying to work on the plumbing.
I did that one time when some dumbo used schedule 20 pvc for electrical conduit to a shallow well pump, instead of using EPVC.

Old 09-08-13, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, your conduit can go under the footing.
Yes, your water line may be in the same trench as the conduit.
Be sure to pull a ground for your swimming pool.

Old 09-08-13, 06:49 PM
Yes, your conduit can go under the footing.
Yes, your water line may be in the same trench as the conduit.
Be sure to pull a ground for your swimming pool.
I agree, good plan. Be sure you actually use PVC conduit for the electrical and not PVC water pipe and there should be no confusion in the future if it ever needs to be dug up.

Old 09-09-13, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

F.Y.I. I plan to run standard 3/4 inch gray sch. 40 electrical pvc containing three 10 AWG THWN wires - one being an insulated ground wire. As for the water line, probably 1/2" black plastic 100/125 psi rated pipe. May put the water line inside a 1" sch. 40 white PVC line with a riser and goose-neck at the low end. This will give added protection to the black plastic and clearly identify it as a "plumbing line". Should there ever be a leak, it will overflow from the low end and not saturate the trench.