Question on AC electrical

Old 09-09-13, 02:15 PM
Question on AC electrical

I heard some banging on one of my outdoor AC compressors and discovered that some wires had come loose and were coming in contact with the fan blades. I need to remove the compressor cover and reattach the wires with a plastic tie or something similar. I tried to turn off the power to the unit by going to the box containing the "puller head," which you're supposed to pull out and then plug in upside down to turn off the power. I'm somewhat familiar with these since I previously had one for some pool equipment. However, I can't seem to get this one out of its socket. I've only been in the home three months so I have no idea about the last time the puller head was removed.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions before I spend a couple hundred bucks for an AC repair person? I'm not an electrician -- just an average homeowner with a lot of respect for voltage -- and I don't want to get electrocuted or have my finger cut off in trying to secure those wires.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-13, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to to the forums.

Those pullouts should not be that tight. They usually just pull straight out.

If you need to make quick repairs and can't get the pullout out...... turn the breaker off in the panel. It should be a 2P40 or 2P50 breaker.

There may be a second one for the airhandler. You don't want that one.

Old 09-09-13, 06:04 PM
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions before I spend a couple hundred bucks for an AC repair person? I'm not an electrician -- just an average homeowner with a lot of respect for voltage -- and I don't want to get electrocuted or have my finger cut off in trying to secure those wires.
Like PJ suggested, turn the circuit off in the main service panel to do the repair to the loose wire. The disconnect may need to be replaced at the unit, but it's not necessarily an emergency. Try checking out a big box store for a replacement disconnect, they typically cost about $10 to $15.