installing oven direct to a circuit breaker

Old 09-10-13, 08:22 AM
installing oven direct to a circuit breaker

I need to install my oven. The electrician who sorted all the electric in our house also installed the stove top, he told me that when we got an oven it would just be a matter of wiring it up to the same double pole circuit breaker and that I could easily do this myself. I am having some trouble doing this myself as I really don't want to make any mistakes where electricity is concerned.

I've attached a photo of the situation, the circuit breaker (I think) with the stove top already wired up to it.

Where should I put the three wires from the cable attached to the oven? I can see where I probably have to put the ground/earth but am really unsure about the live and neutral. I thought underneath?...but on which side? The live and neutral of the stove top seem to be going together into the same place?

Thanks for all your help - I tried calling a bunch of electricians and a handyman out for the job but none of them seemed to think it worth their time.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-13, 08:50 AM
Full disclosure: I am not a professional electrician, so my comments are subject to being contradicted by those here who are. First, in all my 40+ years of owning houses, I have never seen a hard-wired oven other than a wall unit. They have all had 3- or 4-prong plugs. Second, 240-volt circuits do not have a neutral. That means you will not be able to get 120V for any control circuitry the oven may have.

Considering the type of questions you are asking, I suggest you do not attempt this work yourself. And forget handymen - keep trying until you find a licensed electrician who is willing to help you out.

Old 09-10-13, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from Belgium.

md2lgyk ...... in Belgium they have 220-240v power only. It is one leg to neutral.

Here.....we don't connect two appliances to one circuit like that. I know things are done differently there.

I'm looking at your picture and it looks like the stove top is connected directly to the incoming power without the benefit of the breaker. In your picture it's hard to determine where line in and load out connect.

If there are screw terminal on the bottom of that breaker then it may not be wired correctly.

Old 09-10-13, 09:28 AM
Thanks for both of your responses.

Its frustrating when you've learned to leave these things to professionals to then hear that the professionals think I should DIY it. After reading your responses I'm sure I shouldn't attempt it myself but honestly have no idea how i'm going to get someone round to do it...i've tried 5 different people already...the handyman's website says they do the smallest jobs, even change light fittings so I don't know why he didn't want to come over...

I just want a working oven!

Old 09-10-13, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
I understand your frustration but keep trying. It's important to get that connected correctly.

Old 09-10-13, 11:02 AM
i've tried 5 different people already...
Surely there are some electricians and/or small contractors there who specialize in service calls and small jobs, that's who you need to be looking for.

Old 09-10-13, 02:11 PM
md2lgyk ...... in Belgium they have 220-240v power only. It is one leg to neutral.
OK. I didn't notice the OP's location is "non-US."