Generators and main panel tie in questions

Old 09-10-13, 01:14 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generators and main panel tie in questions

Hello,

I am doing some initial research on connecting a generator to my circuit breaker panel. I have is a 200A Murray panel. I bought a 3250/4000 propane generator from Home Depot. I was researching how people connect these to their circuit breaker panel. I want to be able to shut off most of the circuits in the house only running important items like the refrigerator, some lights and a computer. I have seen two methods of doing this. One is where people add what looks like a generator subpanel or transfer panel. The other is where the generator is connected directly to the main panel and there is a mechanism on the panel that shuts off the main breaker when you turn on the generator circuit.

1) My state follows the 2008 NEC. I'd like to go for the simpler method to tie in directly to the panel and have that main power shut off mechanism when the generator circuit is turned on. Is there any issues with this method with the 2008 NEC?

2) I have seen some generators with a tt-30r outlet. Is this the type of outlet that is good to have to connect a generator to an outside outlet that is connected to the main panel or transfer panel?

Thanks all.

Old 09-10-13, 01:19 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can go to Generator InterLock Kit to find an interlock kit for your panel.

Check with your AHJ to see if this is ok. I've heard some DH's don't allow it.

Most generators use an L1430 twist lock so you would need to get an L1430 generator inlet box, which is a male plug.

I see a TT-30 is a 30 amp 125 volt. not sure how you would feed your panel with a 120 volt generator.

Old 09-10-13, 02:05 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I am not a big fan of panel interlocks, but if I was going to use one, I think I'd want one from the panel manufacturer made for the specific panel I had. In my area the AHJ looks hard for U.L. Listings and I am not sure an after market interlock meeting U.L. standards without being U.L. Listed would pass muster. It's always a good idea to ask your AHJ if there is any doubt.

That being said, there are some real crap products on the market that are U.L. Listed too. Just a U.L. label does not make a good product.

Old 09-10-13, 02:05 PM
I
The interlock kits on this website cost $150 for Murray. Do they really cost that much money?

Is it against NEC to use a non-Murray interlock kit with a Murray panel?

Old 09-10-13, 02:08 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Check with a Murray distributor. If they make an interlock cover for your panel, I am sure it'll be expensive too.

Old 09-10-13, 04:28 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Definitely check out the Murray interlocks. Mine was less than $40.

Here's a link to the Murray/Siemens interlocks.

www.sea.siemens.com/us/internet-dms/btlv/residential/residential-murray/docs/Standby_Power_Interlock_Kits_Brochure.pdf

Old 09-10-13, 05:12 PM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
I did my own and used Connecticut Electric interlock box. They provide a video and step by step procedure that made it very easy.

Old 09-11-13, 03:27 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When I saw Murray, I was thinking of an old panel.

Definitely, if you can get a kit from the manufacturer that would be your best bet.

Interlock Technologies is local to me so they're a little less but, the cost is because of the UL listing.

Old 09-11-13, 07:48 AM
I
Thanks for all of your tips. I spoke with our township code office and they said interlocks are allowed here. I will be sure to get a Murray one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: