Installing old chandelier and new bathroom fixtures

Old 09-10-13, 03:28 PM
Installing old chandelier and new bathroom fixtures

I am trying to install an old chandelier in my dining room. the wiring of the channdelier has 2 wires that are the same (no black, not white) and thankfully has a grounding wire. How do I know which wire connects the black wire and the same for the white? My second question is related to my replacing the bathroom light fixtures (installed when the house was built about 12 years ago). I removed the old fixtures and realized the wires in my home go into the wall and I can't see the wiring box. Is it safe to install the new fixture the same way it was done by the builder?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-13, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Using your multimeter set to ohms check which wire has continuity to the thraded shell. That is the white. The black will show continuity to the tab.

I removed the old fixtures and realized the wires in my home go into the wall and I can't see the wiring box. Is it safe to install the new fixture the same way it was done by the builder?
Usually you need a box but some fixtures such as some fluorescent have place to connect that can be used in place of a box.

Old 09-10-13, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Surface mount fixtures may have a knockout on the back where you can use a connector and bring the cable in directly with no box.

However, individual wires coming out of the wall, like white and black, is not the correct way to wire a fixture.