Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I move this electrical wire and what is inside the junction box?

Old 09-11-13, 09:07 AM

Hi:

I do not have a lot of experience with electrical, just switching ceiling light fixtures and installing a dish washer.

Well, as you can see in the photo, and electrical wire is currently running under a water pipe that leads to an outside water spicket.

I want to at least get that electrical wire over the water pipe, because I think it would lessen a problem if there was a problem/leak with the water pipe. I may then create a barrier between the electrical wire and the pipe. I have not had any problem with the pipe in the past.

In regard to the junction box connected to the electrical wire at issue. Is it just a matter of me shutting down the electrical, opening the junction box, separating the connectors for the wire that travels under the water pipe, positioning that wire above the water pipe, reattaching the connectors in the junction box, reattaching the junction box cover, turning the electricity back on, and then I am done?

Thank you for the insight.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-13, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Wires should be stapled or secured within 12" from a junction box.

The wire you are concerned with is just hanging out there unsupported. Looking at the picture there may not be enough wire to put it over the pipe. It may be easier to relocated the box.

Hard to tell if there is one or two wires in the brown circle that connect to the box.

Name:  mm.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 09-11-13, 10:05 AM
From the picture it looks like you have at least three other NM cables that are under the pipe and run under the joists rather than being run through holes drilled through the joists. Are you correcting those too?

Old 09-11-13, 10:08 AM
I believe that only one of the two wires in the brown box enter into the junction box.

Old 09-11-13, 10:11 AM
Well, I recently had an electrician upgrade the electrical from 60 amps to 200 amps. I had to get the job approved by the Township. The inspector failed the job the first time, and passed it on the second go around. All of this wiring was in his plain sight at the time of the upgrade. So, I am thinking, to the extent reasonable, if it is not broke, don't fix it.

Old 09-11-13, 10:15 AM
All of this wiring was in his plain sight at the time of the upgrade. So, I am thinking, to the extent reasonable, if it is not broke, don't fix it.
The inspector can only turn down an inspection based upon the work being performed under the permit. The inspector likely saw these cables under the joists, but knew he didn't have the authority to make you correct them. That doesn't mean they are right.

Old 09-11-13, 10:24 AM
Oh ok. I thought the inspector's authority was more expansive at the time of inspection. And I don't mean to minimize your suggestions. It's just that I am not realy skilled in electrical and the budget is tight to call someone in for these fixes.

Old 09-11-13, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
This is a simple fix, no electrician needed. Answer PJ's and Joe's questions and we can go from there.

Old 09-11-13, 12:00 PM
Hi Ray:

To answer PJ's question- I believe that only one of the two wires in the brown circle in the photo enter into the junction box.

To answer Joe's question- I did not intend to drill holes in the joists for the other cables that appear in the photo.

Old 09-11-13, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have an analog multimeter? An $8-$10 cheap one is all you need. Open the box and post a picture.

Old 09-11-13, 01:24 PM
Yes. I do have a multimeter. Can i open the box without shutting off the electric? I am not home now, but when I am home I will take a photo.

Old 09-11-13, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, it should be safe to open the box. You will probably see two white wires with a wire nut on them and two black wire nutted together. There should be nothing in the box you can touch that is live.

Old 09-12-13, 04:52 PM
Hi. I am attaching the photo of the inside of the box. I am guessing that it is simply a matter of showing of the electricity, unscrewing thee wire nuts, getting the wire above the pipe, putting the wire back in the box, reconnecting with the wire nuts, and putting the face plate back on. Please tell me if I am correct, ok.

Since it is in the basement, although I will have a flashlight, I will probably do the work during daylight when there will at least be a little bit of light in the area.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-13, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
I would remove the wire nuts first and then try one breaker at a time testing with the multimeter. Note the box is not correctly wired. When you reconnect the wires you need to add a pigtail to the ground wires and connect the pigtail to the box.

Old 09-12-13, 07:26 PM
Hi. I understand the part about the pigtailing.

I am confused about removing the wire nuts. Are you saying to do this while electricity is running through the wires? How and why do I test with a multimeter? Is this in an effort to avoid shutting the main electric breaker off?

Thank you.

Old 09-13-13, 07:12 AM
I am confused about removing the wire nuts. Are you saying to do this while electricity is running through the wires? How and why do I test with a multimeter? Is this in an effort to avoid shutting the main electric breaker off?
This would be to identify the circuit you are working with so it can be turned off. There is no need to turn off the main breaker. You would test across the black and white conductors and should see 120 volts (or something close to that).