New fixture doesn't light

Old 09-13-13, 06:15 AM
New fixture doesn't light

I removed a ceiling fan/light and replaced it with a new light fixture. Unfortunately, I didn't note the wiring connections in the old fixture. The light won't turn on when the wall switch for it is moved to 'on'. The switch only controls this one fixture or, that is, it used to.

In the metal ceiling box: one cable - blk, wht, bare copper. I connected like colors to each other with good wire nuts and the copper wire from both cable and fixture to the green screw.

In the metal switch box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. White wire at bottom of single pole switch is hot when measured to box. Blk wire at top of switch is not hot in 'off', becomes hot in 'on'. Copper wire is connect to green screw in box but NOT to the switch.

I suspect some sort of non-standard circuitry here. It wouldn't be a surprise in this house.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-13, 06:30 AM
There has to be two cables in at least one of those boxes.

Old 09-13-13, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Did you change anything at the switch? If not than it should work. Do you have an electrical tester or meter to see if power is actually getting to the wires up at the light? Maybe the light fixture is bad.

Old 09-13-13, 07:22 AM
I just tested for power at the fixture. It reads hot at both black and white wires. I think you may be right, PD, about the new fixture.

Old 09-13-13, 08:01 PM
Given your attitude about your house [wiring] and the details you have provided, I would suggest that you take some serious action... call a professional. Has the house passed any inspections? Do you know who is responsible for the wiring?

Old 09-13-13, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
In the metal ceiling box: one cable - blk, wht, bare copper. I connected like colors to each other with good wire nuts and the copper wire from both cable and fixture to the green screw.
Your description of the switch box:
In the metal switch box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. White wire at bottom of single pole switch is hot when measured to box. Blk wire at top of switch
indicated you have a switch loop so color to color would not work.
  • White of switch loop cable to black of power in cable.
  • White of power in cable to white of light.
  • Black of switch cable to light black.
If you do not have a second cable at the light there must be another junction box.