Wall receptacle for CAT5e

Old 09-15-13, 06:23 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,575
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Wall receptacle for CAT5e

I recently bought an apartment and I couldn't find any phone plugs. Later on I found two receptacles that look like a receptacle for a phone jack, one in each of the bed rooms.

However when I plugged in the phone that's using RJ45, it didn't fit.

Not only it didn't fit, the receptacles (both of them) seem to be filled with some sort of semi liquid gel.

When I opened the wall module to inspect, the cable connecting to it is labeled CAT5e. However out of the bunch of wires inside the cable jacket, only two strands were used to connect to that jack.

Is this for internet services may be DSL?

What are those gel inside the jack?
Old 09-15-13, 06:33 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do the apartments have a shared distribution panel or do each have their own NID?
Old 09-15-13, 08:57 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 63,092
Received 3,607 Upvotes on 3,234 Posts
An RJ-45 plug is what is found on network cables. It is 8 pins. It will not be found on a standard phone.

A standard phone jack is an RJ-11.... which is actually a 6 pin jack but only 4 pins are used. Even though it's 4 pins..... only 2 are needed for a standard phone.

The only time you would see an RJ-45 plug on a phone is if it were a Voip type phone that connected to a computer network.

The gel is found in Ma Bell installed jacks. It's just an anti corrosion type gel.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: