Electrical Receptacles Commercial Space NYC

Old 09-17-13, 10:53 AM
Electrical Receptacles Commercial Space NYC

I am currently working with contractors on a commercial space in NYC.

I have receptacles that are above a countertop that the electrician told me have to be installed horizontal because of building code in NYC. Is this accurate? Can I ask to have the receptacles installed vertically? What could be the reasons for installing the receptacles horizontal?

The receptacles are 6" above the countertop. The countertops are in a photography studio setting with no running water in the room. 110V circuits.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-13, 11:16 AM
I have receptacles that are above a countertop that the electrician told me have to be installed horizontal because of building code in NYC. Is this accurate? Can I ask to have the receptacles installed vertically? What could be the reasons for installing the receptacles horizontal?
All codes are local and your electrician referenced a NYC code. You'll have to ask your electrical inspector. That said, two things:
  1. Building codes don't govern electrical installations. Electrical codes do.
  2. I've installed countertop receptacles vertically in three boroughs. I don't remember, offhand, though, if any of those were in commercial spaces.
Also, 120V circuits. Not 110V.

Old 09-17-13, 04:16 PM
Possibly, they must be mounted with the neutral side up in the event that a piece of metal falling against or sliding down the wall will not contact the hot prong of a partially pulled out plug.

Old 09-17-13, 04:32 PM
they must be mounted with the neutral side up in the event that a piece of metal falling against or sliding down the wall will not contact the hot prong of a partially pulled out plug.
That's how I mount horizontal receptacles, for that reason. It is not a requirement though, just a personal preference. There is no requirement for the orientation of receptacle.