Wiring for new electric oven with 6/3 wire

Old 09-18-13, 09:30 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring for new electric oven with 6/3 wire

Hello everyone! Ok so im refinishing my basement and converting a room into a kitchen. I plan on installing an electric oven. House was renovated few years back and whoever wired the main kitchen just left the old oven wire in joists. I was hoping i can use that its labeled 6/3 (red, black, white and bare ground)and is NM. I plan on putting it on a 50 amp breaker. Anyway the problem im having is that the ground is bare and is a lot thinner than the rest of the wires. The 6/3 i saw at electric supply store didnt have bare ground and guage was same as rest is my wire ok to use??? I need about 30 feet and the old wire i have here is 60ft run and would be a waste. Also looks farely new. Another question is should i feed that to main panel 150amp or one of the subs 80amp Also oven is not a double just reg basic electric oven.

Old 09-18-13, 09:49 AM
P
The existing NM cable as described , and protected by a 50 amp CB, is "useable".

Just be certain that at the termination-point the White wire is "Ground-isolated" from the bare cable conductor and the metallic surface of the appliance.

Old 09-18-13, 11:54 AM
A
Oh great!! So i can just use a 4 wire 50 amp outlet correct?? Oh and also main panel or sub? Thanks again

Old 09-18-13, 01:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The receptacle will be a nema 14-50. Best to run large loads from the main panel.

Old 09-18-13, 07:00 PM
A
Thanks thats the one i had purchased... Im curious as to why the new wire at the stores has a thicker ground and why the ground was insulated if anyone can clarify. Im new to the forum and you guys really helped me out with the quick replies greatly appreciated

Old 09-18-13, 07:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
NonMetallic-b always has a bare one size smaller than ground. Sure you weren't looking at metallic cable instead of non metallic? Some types of MC cable have an insulated ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: