Water leaked from the bathroom duct - what to do next?

Old 09-18-13, 04:50 PM
Water leaked from the bathroom duct - what to do next?

Hi,

I am living in a town house in Canada.

last night, some sink water leaked through the duct/vent (upper floor bath sink had clog and tap wasn't closed properly) and came out from the lighting fixture at the main floor.

there are no marks to show the leak on the roof... it seems like some how water was able to come from the duct to the electrical fixtures.

may I know what to do next...? any advice

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-13, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forums!

First some questions, of course: How does a duct or vent enter into this? Does the fixture still work? Is the fixture recessed or surface mounted?

And, most importantly, have you freed the clog?

Old 09-18-13, 09:06 PM
Thanks Nashkat1

duct/vent opening is just below the sink... so the water dripped and leaked through the duct opening and then it came out right @ 2 electrical fixtures (light bulbs) on the main floor...

nothing is leaking or dripping at the moment, indicating that most of the water is out...

I've closed the main floor fuse (from the main switch panel) ... not sure if the fixtures are working or not. planning to get an electrician to soak/drain the water before testing. but not sure what to do with the duct

Thanks again

Old 09-19-13, 10:05 AM
the water dripped and leaked through the duct opening and then it came out right @ 2 electrical fixtures (light bulbs) on the main floor...
This is puzzling because the HVAC system should be a closed system. No water should be able to get out of it at a light fixture. Usually water coming out of the ceiling was on top of the ceiling, not in a duct.

I've closed the main floor fuse (from the main switch panel) ...
Panels don't have switches and circuit breakers aren't fuses. That said, I hope you opened the circuit by unscrewing the fuse or turning the breaker off, to kill the power to the lights.

not sure what to do with the duct
Are the fixtures recessed or surface mounted?

Old 09-19-13, 02:13 PM
................. electricity was cut off from the main panel by switching the circuit breaker to "off". actually it was done by fire fighters as I had to call them so I am assuming it's done right.

..............fixtures are surface mounted.

as per advice from fire-fighter, I have to call cleaners that cleans between the walls (not sure what that means) and I would have to call an electrician to clean water from the light fixtures.

Old 09-19-13, 05:43 PM
may I know what to do next...? any advice
as per advice from fire-fighter, I have to call cleaners that cleans between the walls (not sure what that means) and I would have to call an electrician to clean water from the light fixtures.
There's your advice and pretty good advice I'd say, what more are you looking for? The cleaners would be to dry out the space behind the drywall to prevent mold growth. The electrician would remove the fixture, be sure it has dried out and reinstall it. The only other advice I'd give is to have a plumber fix your plumbing problem.

duct/vent opening is just below the sink... so the water dripped and leaked through the duct opening and then it came out right @ 2 electrical fixtures (light bulbs) on the main floor...
HVAC duct systems should be relatively air tight, but probably not water tight, that isn't what they are for.

Old 09-20-13, 08:11 AM
What type of cleaners should I look for in yellow pages / or other websites...? this is something new for me as I had no idea that you have cleaners that may clean between walls

Old 09-20-13, 05:54 PM
I just did a Google search for "disaster cleaning companies" and came up with several large franchised companies. You might try the same search and see if there is a location near you and give them a call.