Fast Spinning Platform

Old 09-21-13, 08:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Fast Spinning Platform

Hi community, this is my first time on doityourself.com, so I may not have posted this thread in the good section. This forum seemed reliable enough for what i need, so here I am!

Anyway, for a project on my own, I need a do make a fast spinning platform (around 15Hz to 20Hz and radius 15cm to 25cm) that can carry... say a little less than a kg. I'm more a 'theory' rather than 'manipulation', person, so I have no idea how to start (thus why i ask). Do I need a motor? If yes, what would you suggest? How do I connect that to the electricity socket?

Please, help me a little. If this question is too vague, can someone at least tell me where to start to look for a solution?

Thank you

Old 09-21-13, 10:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Rotation is normally expressed in RPM not Hz. Do you mean 900 RPM - 1200 RPM? What are you spinning? Or did you mean 15-20 RPMs? Is this a display platform?

Old 09-21-13, 12:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Rotation is generally done with a motor and the rate is described in revolutions per minute (RPM). Will your rotating platform be vertical or horizontal? What motor to use will depend a lot on your budget. You could buy new exactly what you need for several hundred dollars but if you're creative other things can be found or modified to do the job. Whether or not you plug it into the wall or power it from a battery depends on the motor you choose and how long you want it to run. Also, it never hurts to tell us what you are trying to do.

Old 09-21-13, 01:06 PM
S
Sorry, what I meant was 900 rpm - 1200 rpm.
Sorry again, I forgot to mention it, this is what I'm trying to achieve:
Spinning mirror system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not expect such refined images. As long as I can achieve a certain level of 3d image, I'm okay!

I do really hope i can get somewhere

Old 09-21-13, 02:47 PM
S
Argh, I do feel a little dumb now. By googling doityourself, I realized that this is a forum for home renovations, not for any electrical/mechanical projects.

Can someone recommend me some forums for creative projects instead?

Old 09-21-13, 03:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hang in there we have some here that like stretching their brains but it is the weekend and they like beer and barbeque too so give it a couple of days for answers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: