Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

No power from main panel to receptacle, breaker not tripped

No power from main panel to receptacle, breaker not tripped

Old 09-21-13, 01:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question No power from main panel to receptacle, breaker not tripped

Hello all-

At my main panel, I have a circuit breaker labelled "basement." In my basement, I have two receptacles, each of which has a separate line in. One of these goes to a GCCI receptacle, which currently has no power, though it had been working. The other goes to a standard receptacle, which is powered.

I came home from a trip to find that the appliances I had plugged into the GFCI were not functioning. My first thought was to check the GFCI. I found that it had not tripped. I pushed "TEST" to test it and it pushed the "RESET" button out as expected. I then attempted to RESET, but the reset button would not go in. I searched downline to find that, from this GFCI, there were two lines running from the LOAD to the outdoor receptacles and one in the garage. The outdoor receptacles did not have any devices plugged in, but the garage receptacle had a fan plugged in, which, of course, was not working. I unplugged it and attempted to RESET again unsuccessfully. At that point, even though there was power to the other basement receptacle, I reset the circuit breaker to check it and it reset without issue, however the GFCI was still not powered.

So, I switched out the GFCI, which also did not resolve the issue. I then removed the LOAD lines going to the other receptacles outside and in the garage and was again unsuccessful at getting power at the GFCI to reset. At this point, I used a multimeter to test voltage across the LOAD and HOT lines coming into the receptacle from the circuit breaker panel and I could not detect any voltage.

So, I'm stumped as to why I have power coming from the panel to one receptacle, which I've verified is on the same breaker, and I don't have power coming to the GFCI receptacle at all.

I'm fairly well versed on actually working on electrical, but I'm not as well versed on the theoretical part and so perhaps I'm missing something in my analysis.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-21-13, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,146 Upvotes on 3,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have one circuit going to two receptacles. One is a regular receptacle and one is a GFI type.
You have a single wire to each device. That would suggest that there is a junction box where those join the feed to the panel.

You'll need to follow the wiring to find a connection point.

Old 09-21-13, 02:01 PM
C
Make sense, thanks. I haven't opened the main panel yet to see. The run from both receptacles to the panel is only about 2' max, so it's got to be something behind the panel.

Old 09-21-13, 02:22 PM
C
Alright, my mistake. I opened up the main panel to find that the GCFI was not on the same breaker as the "basement" breaker, but on another one called "House GCFI," which was next to it. I mistakenly thought it was on the same breaker when I very first started troubleshooting because I checked the outdoor receptacles with the "basement" breaker off and didn't realize the "House GCFI" breaker was also tripped. I could have sworn I reset that breaker last night just to check, but maybe I missed it, because it was tripped.

In any case, with that breaker reset, the GCFI and downline receptacles are working again. I'm not sure why it tripped in the first place, but so it goes. It's dark in the basement with the power off, so maybe I just wasn't quite as thorough as I should have been. Thanks for everyone's time!

Old 09-21-13, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,146 Upvotes on 3,723 Posts
If only all problems were so easy to resolve..... thanks for the update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: