replacing single pole switch with switch/outlet combo

Old 09-19-13, 04:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing single pole switch with switch/outlet combo

I have a switch in my walk in closet that controls a ceiling light fixture. I want to replace this single pole switch with a switch/outlet combination.

There are 3 sets of wires in the box, 2 coming in from the bottom and one going out through the top. The three black wires are all connected to the switch, 2 are plugged into the back and 1 is wrapped on the screw. The white wires are together in a wire nut and the 3 ground wires are twisted together.

This closet along with 2 bathrooms are on the same breaker. I am confused about the 3 black wires and how to wire them into the switch/outlet combination.

I have attached some photos

Thanks in advance for help!

Attached Images    
Old 09-19-13, 04:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
What's to be confused about? One of the two cables at the bottom is incoming power, the other is power continuing to some other location. The cable at the top is the light fixture.

You will need to "pigtail" the two black wires from the bottom together along with a third wire to go to the black screw of the combination device. You need a similar pigtail from all the white wires and this will go to the silver screw on the combination device. A third pigtail, green, from the bare copper to the grounding connection on the combination device. The remaining black from the top goes to the brass screw for the switch portion of the combination device.

Old 09-20-13, 07:53 AM
G
Thanks Furd. Looks like great instructions ... I think I can handle it!

Old 09-23-13, 09:59 PM
G
I successfully wired in the switch/combo by following your excellent instructions.

Thanks again!

Tom

Old 09-24-13, 01:50 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Glad you got it done, and thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: