Newbie needs help with switch replacement!

Old 09-24-13, 01:04 PM
Newbie needs help with switch replacement!

This is my first post in this forum and I would like some expert advice! In my condo their is an outdoor flood light with a switch indoors, simple on/off. The light stopped working, so I figured it was the switch, since it seems to be losing connection leading up to the outage. I removed the cover plate, turned off the breaker and found more wires than I had expected. 2 sets containing 1red, 1white and 1 copper. See attached photo. I put the wires back just as I had found them and attached to a new 120v switch. Connected the two white wires and capped, 1 black to each post on light switch and connected the 2 ground and attached to box ground screw. Turned the breaker back on, flipped the switch and.......pop!! Burnt out the switch! What the heck did I do wrong? Also, I guess I'm not so sure if was the switch that was the problem, I know it wasn't the bulb. Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 01:42 PM
Switch

2 sets containing 1red, 1white and 1 copper. See attached photo.
Connected the two white wires and capped, 1 black to each post on light switch and connected the 2 ground and attached to box ground screw.

This is confusing. Please verify the wire colors.

Your photo is not visible.

Old 09-24-13, 06:07 PM
There should have been 2 wires on the original switch. Did you connect those same 2 wires to the new switch? That's how simple this is.