Dryer cord help

Old 09-24-13, 08:39 PM
Dryer cord help

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  33.9 KB

I have a whirlpool cabrio dryer I bought new a few years ago. We just moved to a new house with a 3 prong dryer outlet (old house had a 4 prong) and I am switching the cord back to a 3 prong. However, I am confused about grounding. From what I can make out from the instructions and online I need to take the white wire (see picture) that was connected to the middle terminal when the 4 prong cord was hooked up and attach it under the Green ground screw. Is this correct? For 4 prong it goes to middle terminal but for 3 prong it goes to ground? Hooking up a white wire to a ground is new to me so I wanted some verification before I proceeded. Thanks.

Here is what the manual says:
This dryer is manufactured ready to install with a 3-wire electrical supply connection. The neutral ground conductor is permanently connected to the neutral conductor (white wire) within the dryer. If the dryer is installed with a 4-wire electrical supply connection, the neutral ground conductor must be removed from the external ground connector (green screw), and secured under the neutral terminal (center or white wire) of the terminal block. When the neutral ground conductor is secured under the neutral terminal (center or white wire) of the terminal block, the dryer cabinet is isolated from the neutral conductor.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
What is the make and model of that dryer ?

Usually the white is the neutral and is not called neutral/ground wire.

Normally the three wire connection uses the main three terminals and there is a metal bonding jumper to the case.

Also.....that power cord looks old and should be replaced.. The connections on the power cord must be clean and shiny. The pic below shows what happens when the connections aren't solid.

Name:  nn.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 09-24-13, 09:27 PM
That sounds backwards. It would make sense for the cabinet to be connected to ground for a 4-wire service.

Can you post a link to the instructions for your dryer?

Old 09-25-13, 04:34 AM
Link to manual

Whirlpool cabrio wed5500xwo

http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalasse...0W10115226.pdf

Old 09-25-13, 05:20 AM
Neutral is also called the grounded conductor. The white wire is connected to the neutral terminal at some point inside the dryer. (Verify this if you want with a continuity tester or meter.)

It makes sense not to connect the white to the case on a 4-wire cord because it would bond the neutral to ground. Instead, they want you to park the white wire under the neutral terminal screw where it can do no harm.

With a 3-wire cord, bonding the neutral to the case is allowed as an exception by the NEC.

Old 09-25-13, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
I read it as as white wire to green ground screw. I read it as that white wire being permanently connected on the unseen end to the center terminal of the terminal block to which the appliance neutral wire is also connected. Just poor choice of insulation color for what is really a bonding conductor.

Old 09-25-13, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys. So it is correct to attach the white wire that is free to the green ground terminal? I'll also replace the cord as suggested.

One more question. I dropped one of the terminal screws. Can I take one of the remaining ones to a hardware store to find a matching size or do I have to order something specific to replace it?

Old 09-25-13, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Just connect the white to ground screw. Should not be a special screw. A real hardware store should be abel to match it.