gfci required/old circuit

Old 09-24-13, 08:00 PM
gfci required/old circuit

If i can get my panel inspection now vs 2014(new NEC) will that make a difference as to changes i may need to make even though its original wiring ?
Also if circuits like washroom outlets,dishwasher outlet,etc are original/no gfci will they have to get changed out to gfci or is the "grandfathered" in applicable?
There also were no arc faults with it as it is the original panel from 80s.
Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 08:21 PM
What did you change that requires a panel inspection?

I wouldn't expect the 2014 NEC to be immediately adopted or to be adopted w/o local overrides or changes.

Old 09-25-13, 07:12 AM
Are you getting an electrical inspection or home inspection for occupancy? My experience tells me that most wiring from the '80s will be grandfathered, but outside receptacles and bathroom receptacles have been required to be GFCI protected since the '70s so you'll probably need to make that upgrade now. In addition, most inspectors want to see kitchen counter and basement receptacles GFCI protected regardless of when the house was built. Dishwashers are not now, nor have they ever been, required to be GFCI protected, but I believe that will be changing in the 2014 NEC.

If you are required to have an inspection, I'd get it earlier rather than later.