Wiring and installing an electric hot water heater

Old 09-25-13, 02:04 AM
Wiring and installing an electric hot water heater

Ok, I'm pretty handy and can do most stuff myself but wiring a 220 line for a hot water heater is above me. I'm a single mom who owns a doublewide mobile here in Reno. Propane is just way too expensive and I lost my discount. The kids and I havent had running hot water for about 7 months. Winter is coming again and I just cant do one more winter heating water on the stove. Please help if you can. I have purchased the hot water heater now just need to get it wired and installed. Im willing to pay what I can, I have two electrical boxes in the house, one on each side of the mobile. The electric box closest to the heater closet is only about 20-24 feet away so it doesn't have to run through the whole house. I'm am at a lose on how to do this. Any suggestions? Anyone want to do a good deed - get some good karma? I can pay some for someone to do this for or with me so I can learn, I just can't pay alot.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-13, 02:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! A few questions. Will your water heater be located inside a closet or via an external opening in the wall. Where is your breaker panel in relation to the location to the water heater. You will need a double breaker, 30amps, to run the water heater. If you could, take a picture of the breaker panel with the door open so we can determine if you have space to do this. You will need to run 10-2 with ground cable from the breaker panel to the water heater. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you may need to enlist the help of a local handyman. My suggestion would be to contact your local church to see if they have programs geared to do this type thing. We have one at ours, and they do small jobs for people who can't afford an electrician, plumber, etc at full price. It costs nothing. You provide the materials.

Old 09-25-13, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
In addition to Larry's questions are you planing on a 30 gallon heater. Will it be installed the same place as the propane water heater and be the same size as the propane WH? That would make the plumbing a lot simpler.

Old 09-26-13, 01:34 AM
Smile Thank you

Thank you for the welcome. I am putting in a 30 gal electric heater where the old propane one was at. In my mobile there is an outside closet built into the site where the old heater was. There is no wiring in that closet. The old hot water heater was actually wired into a box underneath we the house. So not sure if that is what either one of you is talking about. I can take pictures of the inside of the hot water heater closet and the outlet under it. I know that out let has the three prong plug on it. I changed out that one. Chandler that space between the where the breaker box is and the hot water heater cluster is about the size of a bedroom closet. My mobile has two breaker boxes one for each side and they are both at the back of the house closest to the hot water heater closet. Unfortunately I do not belong to a church. My dad is Lutheran and a disabled American vet up in Oregon. But said that probably wouldn't help me any. If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. My furnace went out last year and that was really bad but then hot water for kids for baths and laundry. I'm at my ropes end. I have to choose the least of the evils to fix and that's the hot water heater- I can use the vent from the dryer to help heat the house. Not trying to dump problems on anyone - I appreciate any help you can give me.
I will figure out how to get pictures on here tomorrow. I can give a phone number if that would help.
Conie Ray and chandler thank you for responding

Old 09-26-13, 02:16 AM
Hey I don't know how to put a pic in here? Is there another forum I could use - maybe email it to you? It's getting cold and I know the pipes are going to freeze if I don't get the hot water running. Not your problem - just need as much help as I can get.

Conie

Old 09-26-13, 02:17 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you won't have an operating furnace with no propane. I hope your electricity is less expensive there than here otherwise the electric water heater will cost more to run than the propane.

The old hot water heater was actually wired into a box underneath we the house
I thought your old water heater was propane.... it was electric ? Can you reuse that wiring ?

Old 09-26-13, 02:21 AM
Group Moderator
Check your private messages. Just below black bar at top of page

You can use the " Go Advanced" reply box and then scrolll down to "manage attachments"
A dialogue box will open and you can load pictures there.

Old 09-26-13, 03:24 AM
Group Moderator