meter socket question

Old 09-26-13, 09:17 AM
meter socket question

Hi, first I'd like to give a shout out to this forum. I was having my lights dim then get bright I searched online for a possible cause from reading here I found out I needed to call my power company asap. I did they came right out,found I had a loose lug (?) they tightened it and said it might be good for a few more years but I want to replace it. However I don't know what to purchase. I know I have a 100 amp service so is there a certain meter socket I need? They said my dad can replace it but I have to go buy it first.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 09:41 AM
Thank you so much.

Old 09-26-13, 11:16 AM
I don't know what to purchase. I know I have a 100 amp service so is there a certain meter socket I need? They said my dad can replace it but I have to go buy it first.
Most power companies will have a publication with the approved meter sockets for use on their system. For example, a horn bypass is a pretty common requirement any more and the one at the link doesn't have it. I'd first start by calling the power company and get their list. Now, considering your meter socket needs to be replaced, that usually means it's also time to replace the service entrance wiring (conduit/wire or cable). This needs to be evaluated. OK, let's now assume you are ready to replace the socket. The power company will have to be involved to disconnect power at the pole before the socket can be changed. This usually involves a permit and inspection before the power can be reconnected. There are many things to consider so I wouldn't advise going out to buy a meter socket immediately until you have a chance to first discuss this with the power company. I don't mean to discuss with the trouble man who tightened the loose lug, you need to discuss this with soneone in the office. The next step would be to consult the AHJ (inspector's office). Usually when you touch the service the entire service must be brought to today's code to pass inspection before the power company is allowed to reconnect the power. Bottom line is, this is a job for an experienced professional who knows all the ins and outs and not your dad.

Old 09-26-13, 11:55 AM
I agree to consult AHJ but, around here they don't inspect meters because it "belongs" to the power co.

Old 09-26-13, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our power company provides the meter box and will not set a meter in any box that didn't come from them. You should definitely consult them before making any purchace!