Fried Dryer plug and outlet

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-29-13, 01:40 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4
Fried Dryer plug and outlet

Hi everyone. Can anyone point me in the right direction? See the images of a fried dryer plug and outlet. This has to be an easy fix, loose something or someone spilled water on it. Does anyone have an idea what typically causes this failure? Thank you!
 
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-29-13, 01:43 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
The green residue on the receptacle tells the connection was loose and was oxidizing the copper. Have you had the cover off the receptacle, yet. You will probably find that hot lead melted and came in contact with the ground. Let us see that, too.
 
  #3  
Old 09-29-13, 01:51 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4
Thank you! Not yet. So if I turn the breaker off, open the receptacle cover & see that or another issue in there, then cutting the wires and re-attaching with nice clean connections should fix it? It's a dryer in a detached garage that is not heated or conditioned.
 
  #4  
Old 09-29-13, 02:00 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 43,508
Regardless of what you find inside the receptacle you will need to replace it as well as a new power cord.
 
  #5  
Old 09-29-13, 02:02 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4
Yup. That's the right move. Thank you!
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'