replacing dimmer with regular switch trips breaker

Old 09-30-13, 06:34 AM
Question replacing dimmer with regular switch trips breaker

Hey,

So I replaced a few dimmer switches with regular switches. The first two went perfectly fine, but I had a problem with the third. I wired up the regular switch the same way that the dimmer was wired. However when I flip the power on the breaker gets tripped whenever the switch is put in the off direction. Not sure what's going on?

This is what it looked like before I did anything:

Name:  IMG_20130929_112601try.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  31.9 KB

I wired the new switch the exact same way...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
If the breaker trips with the switch in the off position then it sounds like the switch is in upside down.
If it is in correctly....with the arrow or top in the up position then it sounds like there is a problem with the switch.

Old 09-30-13, 09:49 AM
Does the breaker trip if the switch is hanging out of the box, or only when it's mounted?

Old 09-30-13, 10:03 AM
No the switch is in the right way (but would that even matter, wouldn't it just reverse the on and off position of the switch, not trip the breaker?), and yes it trips when it is hanging out of the box.

There isn't a problem with the switch, I tried it in another place and it worked fine....

Old 09-30-13, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Give us a picture with the wires connected but pulled out so we can see clearly. Pictures from multiple angles may help.

Old 09-30-13, 12:12 PM
yes it trips when it is hanging out of the box.
But it only trips when you change the switch, correct? You can flip the switch the other way and the breaker will hold, but if you leave it in the position that trips it then the breaker can't be reset?

If so, the only way that can happen is that a dead short is created ehen the switch is closed. That is, when it's switched "on."

Here's a quick test: Take the wires off the switch and put a small wire nut on each. Turn the breaker on and see if it holds. If it does, cut it off and use a wire nut to temporarily join the two switch wires. Turn the breaker on again and see if it holds.

If it won't reset with the two wires joined, you'll need to find and correct the condition causing the short. If it will reset, you have a faulty switch.

Old 09-30-13, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I'm working overnight tonight, but should be back home tomorrow, will do the tests and take a few more pictures and post them tomorrow.

Old 09-30-13, 05:48 PM
However when I flip the power on the breaker gets tripped whenever the switch is put in the off direction. Not sure what's going on?
Some clarification is needed --- if the wall switch is in the *on* position when the breaker is reset --- will the breaker stay closed ?

Secondly -- was the dimmer working properly before trying to replace with the single pole switch ?

Third --- based on your picture there seems to be evidence of that box being replaced and /or some wiring done ? Was that done around the same time this problem started happening ?