Low voltage outdoor lighting

Old 09-30-13, 09:58 AM
Low voltage outdoor lighting

When I was in Thailand, I purchased 6 drip lights. They are strip lights in a plastic tube that you hang in your trees for a very nice effect. They have a normal plug on the end of the tube. There are about 100 LED lights in each tube, for a total of about 4 watts. I want to put a 6 plug outdoor timer near the trunk of the tree and run wires up to the lights hanging in the tree. Can I use low voltage landscaping wire to make the connections? Each light would have its own wire to the timer, which would be about 12-15 feet long.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Are the lights line voltage? If so you can't use low voltage wire.

Old 09-30-13, 12:58 PM
line voltage

I am not sure what you mean by line voltage and that is exactly why I am asking before I do anything that might cause fire trucks to show up at my house. I do know that the lights work fine when plugged into an outlet in the house, much like Christmas tree lights. I planed to use 14-2 low voltage landscape wire to connect to each drip light. I would of course use waterproof connectors on both ends.

Old 09-30-13, 01:26 PM
I am not sure what you mean by line voltage... I do know that the lights work fine when plugged into an outlet in the house, much like Christmas tree lights. I planed to use 14-2 low voltage landscape wire to connect to each drip light.
Line voltage means the voltage that's available in the receptacles in your house. 120V AC, not 12V. Since that's what the lights appear to need, you need to use cable that's rated for 120V and for use outdoors. 14-2/G Type UF would work.

Old 09-30-13, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
I would suggest 14-3 SOWJ cord. (Looks like round extension cord.) Any splices must be in a weatherproof box.

They have a normal plug on the end of the tube.
Any boxes you plug into must have an inuse cover. Probably could mount weatherproof boxes with inuse covers in the trees to plug them into.

Old 09-30-13, 03:11 PM
low voltage

thanks for the help. Your answer was clear and didn't include any technical lingo that a rookie like me wouldn't understand.