Appliances are surging

Old 09-30-13, 11:10 PM
Appliances are surging

When my refrigerator is running, the fan in the freezer section and the light in the refrigerator surge up and down. And at the same time the light in my microwave oven dims and brightens.

Who do I call? PG&E or an electrician. Is my refrigerator going bad? Or can circuit breakers go bad?

The microwave over is brand new. The fridge is about 5 years old.

The circuit breaker that both are connected to, used to flip over when I used a toaster and the microwave at the same time.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Carol

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the forums!

When my refrigerator is running, the fan in the freezer section and the light in the refrigerator surge up and down. And at the same time the light in my microwave oven dims and brightens.

Who do I call? PG&E or an electrician. Is my refrigerator going bad? Or can circuit breakers go bad?

The microwave over is brand new. The fridge is about 5 years old.

The circuit breaker that both are connected to, used to flip over when I used a toaster and the microwave at the same time.
Did this start after you replaced an older microwave with one that draws more power?

Regardless, it should not share a circuit with a refrigerator. Call an electrician.

Old 10-01-13, 12:40 AM
I don't think so. Because it is the same brand and size as the old microwave. And they are not both running at the same time that this happens.

But thank you.

Old 10-01-13, 03:55 AM
Sounds like possibly a loose neutral connection on a MWBC.

Old 10-01-13, 05:55 AM
Does it happen with lights all over the house or just in the kitchen?

Go back to incandescent bulbs for a few hours. Incandescent bulbs show dimming and brightening more than CFLs or LEDs.

Old 10-01-13, 08:18 AM
The microwave over is brand new
I assume you mean the microwave is a built-in over the range.

Regardless, it should not share a circuit with a refrigerator. Call an electrician.
Nash, is correct, the microwave should not be sharing the circuit and should be on a dedicated circuit. Call an electrician. You probably also have a loose connection, possibly a neutral connection on a multiwire branch circuit. Call an electrician.