Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice: Small Electric Motor & Power Source Selection

Seeking Advice: Small Electric Motor & Power Source Selection

Old 10-04-13, 11:18 AM
Lightbulb Seeking Advice: Small Electric Motor & Power Source Selection

Hello All! This is my first post. I am a relative novice to electrical work. I have experience wiring my own guitars and putting together effects pedal kits, but that is essentially the end of it.

So, I have a project that I would like to use a small electric motor for. It is a single string electric guitar type device designed to produce one note in a droning fashion. I'd like to use the motor to spin a wheel that will vibrate the string and produce sound through the pickup and out to an amp.

I don't think that it needs to be particularly powerful, so I am hoping for a recommendation that allows for a 9v battery as a power source. Ideally, I can pickup what I need at a Radioshack (USA, Gainesville, FL) and knock it out this weekend for an upcoming performance. I would also like to be able to adjust the speed, so I am thinking maybe a linear potentiometer would work?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and thank you all for your advice in advance! Thanks!

BONUS POINTS for an easy EBow project that will get a nice drone going!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-13, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I don't think that "just" a small electric motor will do it for you. When you reduce the voltage you reduce the torque to the point where the motor will just stall. In the links below are some motors listed on eBay that are what you would need.

Another thought.....years ago you could buy Erector sets. They were kits with all kinds of metal parts and you could assemble things that actually worked. Some of those kits came with a battery powered motor gear driven unit that turned pretty slow. That might be perfect for you.

2X New 3 6V DC Small Micro Geared Box Electric Motor High Quality | eBay

3 6V DC Small Micro Geared Box Electric Motor High Quality | eBay