Dead receptacle knob & tube

Old 10-06-13, 10:14 PM
Dead receptacle knob & tube

Hi Everyone,

I have an older home with some remaining knob & tube wiring, the rest of the wiring is romex on 200 amp panel. The issue in question is on knob & tube. I noticed a lamp that is normally on was out and checked the outlet with DMM, no power. I went to the panel and the breaker was tripped and re-tripped when I tried to reset. When I removed receptacle I was able to reset breaker. I replaced receptacle with gfci on line side and reset breaker, however, I was unable to test/reset gfci. I checked power at the breaker and got 120 volts from DMM. I removed gfci and reset breaker with power leaving panel but no power on bare wires at receptacle box.

I am thinking open hot as I tested neutral at receptacle with a good hot on extension cord and got 120 volts. I checked all the receptacles in the house and all reads correct with plugin wiring indicator. Did I miss something or do I have a loose wire between panel and receptacle?

What is puzzling is the tripped breaker that I could not reset until the receptacle was removed.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
You had a short that tripped the breaker several times and now you have an open wire. You may have burned a connection open in the K & T. What size breaker is protecting that circuit ?

You checked all the rest of the receptacles and they checked good. Are any of them on the same circuit as the dead receptacle ?

Your short was more than likely caused by a short where the wires enter the box.

Old 10-06-13, 11:01 PM
Hi PJ

It is 20 amp breaker and I cannot find anything else on this circuit as everything is working with the breaker off. This receptacle box is an old metal and small size box in the plaster. The neutral wire at this box is a 12 gauge romex and the hot is k&t and there is another k&t conductor in the box with a wirenut wrapped securely in electrical tape. Not sure why? I have a sperry wire tracer and was thinking of tracing hot at box to panel hot once I disconnected it from the breaker.

Old 10-07-13, 12:10 AM
Okay, in the famous words of Roberto De Vicenzo,who signed a higher scorecard than his actual score in the 1968 Master's and ended up second instead of first, "what a stupid i am!" I just realized that outlet is switched, albeit across the room and is never turned off but for some reason it was off, so I now have power to gfci. I am still wondering about the breaker being tripped and re-tripping with switch off??? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-13, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Have you examined the wiring at the switch?

Old 10-07-13, 11:02 PM
Hi Ray,

I have not looked at the switch wiring yet but that was on my mind to do because the tripped breaker that I could not reset until receptacle was off is odd to me. I will look at it tomorrow after I finish replacing wife's window regulator with tangled cable I re-spooled that got re-tangled when I powered it up. Serves me right for trying to save $70 and buy just the slider instead of complete unit.

Thanks, I'll post what I find tomorrow evening.