Adding wiring to a new partition wall

Old 10-07-13, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding wiring to a new partition wall

I am looking to add an outlet (perhaps one on each side of the new wall). I am wondering the easiest way to do this without destroying the current wall.

In the picture below there is an outlet, and a box where there was a wall sconce. The stud they are attached to is to the right of the boxes. The new framing is a closet door, and I want the outlet to be 32ish" to the right of the opening. I haven't added the framing for the closet yet (likely will happen today) but that will be a small 32" deep, 32" wide closet (it will on the side where the outlet currently is).

I'm wondering if I go off the wiring in the upper wall box and run it through top section of the framing then bring it downward. This seems like the simplest option, I just can't figure out the best way to get it from the box into the framing without having an exposed wire for a few inches (unless that is generally considered ok, which I think is unlikely).

I believe the purple wall was once an exterior wall, if that makes any difference.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 08:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Notch stud and cover with nail plate.

Old 10-07-13, 08:31 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
What is above or below the new partition? Can you bring a wire a from the basement or down from the attic? Sure may be easier than than messing with the wall outlet,and the wall sconce is probably switched.

Old 10-07-13, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have a complete unswitched circuit in that box, you can remove the box by cutting its supports, drill at an angle to get a cable into the stud bay from the new wall, and feed both the new and old cables into a replacement old-work box to splice them together. Both that box and the one with a receptacle below it will need blank covers if they're inside the closet.

Old 10-07-13, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. I'll look into these and see what i can figure out. No access from attic and house is on a slab... I'll let you know what i end up doing

Old 10-07-13, 06:51 PM
Some diagonal drilling and a little fishing and I seem to be in good shape.

Thanks for the speedy advice. Closet is framed as well

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-13, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the follow-up and the photo. Just one point: The 8-B box that you put in the wall, and the splices inside it, must remain accessible when you're finished. That means no drywall, no tape and no shelf in the way of opening it.

Old 10-07-13, 07:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's going to be hard to find a decent looking cover for that box. A switch box would be a better choice.

Old 10-07-13, 07:47 PM
I remember reading that about covering any boxes. Not a big deal to leave it out as its in a closet. Thanks for looking out!