Relocation of under cabinet electrical box

Old 10-10-13, 08:56 PM
Relocation of under cabinet electrical box

The previous owner for whatever reason has opted to install an electrical receptacle for the garbage disposer RIGHT UNDERNEATH the kitchen drain connection and very close to the hot and cold water supply valves.

It makes me a bit nervous in the event there is a leak that 4" metal box would be soaked.

The only reason I can think of is they drilled one hole for the drain and thought hey I will just squeeze the wiring through the same hole.

After opening the box the wiring is #12 12/2 romex (other part of the house was mostly EMT conduits). I removed the screws securing the box to the back of the cabinet and was hoping I can pull out more romex but no, all I can get is about 4".

I don't want to cut a large hole in the cabinet and the sheet rock behind that simply to relocate the box.

But I need to get that box into a safer location however I don't have enough to move it.

Is there some way I can connect this short end of romex to some sort of watertight fitting or box that will allow me to make another run to a higher spot further away from the drain and supplies?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is one of the most creatively positioned boxes I've ever seen.

All junctions need to be in a box and accessible, so something will have to stay in that 4" area. But... can you tell what direction the wire goes? If it goes to the left or to the right, you may be able to make a small slice in the drywall and pull it through to one side. Or can you see this wire in the basement below? You could possibly pull it out, add a junction box in the basement and then re-fish it to a new box.

Old 10-11-13, 08:40 AM
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the creativity LOL.

No basement in Miami all slab foundations here.

The other side of the wall is the next unit in this single story multiplex. Happens to be also their kitchen cabinets, a mirrored floor plan.

The romex is coming from a lower spot, not left or right, but that could easily have been a wire strap tying it to the bottom plate.

Old 10-11-13, 09:35 AM
The NM cable is coming from the disposer switch, where is the switch located. What has probably happened is that when the house was built, the cable was brought through the same hole in the back of the cabinet as the drain and was wired direct to the disposer. This was pretty much "standard" in most new homes at one time, but today the "standard" is to mount a switched receptacle under the sink and install a cord on the disposer to plug into the receptacle. The previous homeowner has probably just cut the cable short and installed the receptacle close to where it entered the cabinet.

Old 10-11-13, 10:25 AM
The disposed switch is on a wall several feet away and higher up so it weaved through wall studs or up above ceiling and down.

Old 10-12-13, 10:55 AM
The disposed switch is on a wall several feet away and higher up so it weaved through wall studs or up above ceiling and down.
It probably doesn't go above the ceiling, but that really makes no difference. If you can tell what direction the cable is approaching from, you can go in that direction to relocate the receptacle.