Plug Water Heater into 3 Prong Light Socket Adapter

Old 10-11-13, 08:54 PM
Plug Water Heater into 3 Prong Light Socket Adapter

Hi everyone, was wondering if some of the people with home electrical knowledge could give me some insight.

I'm having a new water heater put in which needs to be plugged in (old one had special power supply).

This water heater needs to be plugged in but there is no electrical outlet close enough so my options are

1) Replace light bulb fixture near by with a 3 prong light bulb socket adapter and plug it into there
2) Use an extension cord

Can anyone speak to either of these 2 options and the safety concern. With using the light socket for electricity I'm wondering if the water heater uses a lot of electricity which this light socket can't handle.
With the extension cord i'm concerned with electrical problems should there be a water leak. Really confused on this one and would really appreciate some help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't consider plugging your water heater into an extension cord or to a 3 prong light adapter. It's pretty rare to see a plug in water heater.

Are you located in the States..... you didn't show locale in your user info.
Can you give us the make and model number for it ?
There should be an ID plate with the above info as well as 120v ?? amps or ?? watts
We need to know what the unit draws for power.

Old 10-12-13, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
old one had special power supply
And explain what you mean by that. Since your in Canada do you mean a dedicated 240 volt power supply.

Old 10-12-13, 10:11 AM
Hi PJ,

Thanks for the kind reply. The water heater is a Rheem power vent 50 Gallon water heater.

I live in Milton, Ontario so the second document provided here would be the most relevant as to information on this water heater:
Rheem Power Vent Series

I'm a new home owner so this is all very new to me. I believe that the water heater is going to be installed with it's own power supply but the technician was saying I also need somewhere to plug it in. So does this mean maybe the display on the water heater which indicates everything requires a second power supply and this is what he's suggesting I can maybe plug in using a light bulb socket adapter.

Old 10-12-13, 10:14 AM
Sorry forgot to add, on the link I provided you have to click on Specs/Docs tab to get the manual I was referring to.

Old 10-12-13, 10:18 AM
Sorry I just clarified with the technician. The blower which is sitting on top of the water heater is what needs to be plugged in. So this is what I am unsure is safe to plug in using an extension cord or a light socket adapter.

Old 10-12-13, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Ok....now I understand. You are having a gas water heater with powered vent installed.

That water heater will only use a small amount of power (under 600watts) so it won't need it's own or a heavy duty circuit.

In the link below is the manual for your water heaters. On page 17 is specifically states that an extension cord can not be used. It requires a grounded receptacle. It may be a good idea to have an actual receptacle installed. It may be able to be connected to the same place the light is.

Rheem /power-vent-canada-power-vent-use-and-care-manual