Lost Power

Old 10-12-13, 09:41 PM
Question Lost Power

My girlfriend called me and said that the power went out while she was using a carpet shampoo machine. She went down and turned breakers on and off and said none had tripped. When I got home I checked all the breakers and they were all fine. Every breaker turns something on in the house. However, 3 outlets in the house, 2 ceiling lights, 2 light switches, 1 dimmer light switch, 1 gfci outlet in the garage, 1 garage door opener, 4 outlets in the garage all don't work. I tried replacing the GFCI and still nothing. The GFCI wont test or reset either. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-13, 10:28 PM
Find another GFCI receptacle upstream of the one that won't reset. If you're lucky, it will be closer to the panel than the one that won't reset. Move every box, lift every poster, feel for lumps behind the sheetrock.

If you're not lucky, it could be outside, in the laundry room or any other #% place. Search places that share walls with the garage first.

Old 10-13-13, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you have the power on when you tried to reset the GFI? It needs to be on to reset.
Ask her which outlet she had it plugged into and cut that breaker and pull the outlet to see if it's broken loose wire, back stabbed instead of under the screws on the sides or there's burn marks.