Adding a light to the switch end of a 3-way circuit

Old 02-21-01, 12:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a typical existing circuit something like this:

_____lights_____switch1_____switch2
box_______|

I only have access to switch2, which is at the end of the 3-wire run, and I would like to add another light fixture from there. Is there any way I can (properly) insert a light into the switch circuit so that it operates with the existing lights? I have considered breaking in to the common wire at the switch, but don't want the lights to go out if the bulb goes, and don't know if a parallel connection through the light is allowed (or functional).

Am I out of luck?

Old 02-21-01, 02:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One of the 3-way switches (common terminal)has the circuit power on it, the other 3-way switch (common terminal) has the hot power feed to the light. You need to get the switched power wire in order to hook up another light that will be switched by the 3-way switches. By that's only half of it, you need to the white (neutral wires connected) for the new light. We know we have both at the existing light. But if the source of circuit power enters the existing light first, you may not have a neutral at the switch. The best place to get both neutral and switched power wire is at the existing light fixture.

Old 02-21-01, 05:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with dkerr. With access only to switch2, this is probably an impossible task. The switch2 box has no neutral wire. To confirm, if you look into the switch2 box, you will find only three wires, and all of them are attached to the switch itself. This tells you that all three wires are hot wires.

If the switch2 box has another switch in it too, and that switch is on the same circuit, and the cable to that switch has a neutral wire, you have a chance. But even then, you may need to rewire switch1 to make it work.

If you're not ready to give up yet, post back with more details.

Old 02-21-01, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
That's what I was afraid of, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Guess I'm goin' fishing. Thanks anyway!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: