THHN and Conduit

Old 10-12-13, 09:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THHN and Conduit

Background: My daughter wants 50 amp 240 volt service in her shed for an electric kiln. I dug a trench and laid 1 1/2" PVC conduit from the shed to the house. At the house, I ran the conduit up the wall to the height of the basement joists and put a service entrance cap on top. I drilled through the brick and the rim joist, so I have a hole into the laundry. I am putting a disconnect box high on the laundry wall, then switching to Romex to go through the laundry and garage to the main service panel. I am using 6 gauge wire because the total run is about 150 feet (Red, Black, White, and Green for the THHN, 6-3 with ground for the Romex).

Question: Can the THHN be without protection from the service entrance cap to the disconnect box (about 3 feet), or do I need to switch to flexible conduit or try to extend the PVC into the house?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-13, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You should be using THWN and yes..... it needs to be protected.

You can use an LB to transition from the PVC pipe into the house.

Name:  LB_1.jpg
Views: 5607
Size:  5.6 KB

Old 10-12-13, 10:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Any other electricity run out there already? If so, you should look into a subpanel instead; as you can only have one feed to an outbuilding.

Old 10-12-13, 10:51 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
My daughter wants 50 amp 240 volt service in her shed for an electric kiln.
No need for lights or other convenience receptacles?

Old 10-12-13, 04:03 PM
S
Your prompt replies are very much appreciated.

Yes, I have a subpanel to put in the shed; I will install receptacles.

I discussed this with an electrician before I started, and he said nothing about the THHN vs. THWN. I suppose I can sell the THHN on eBay and start over.

So rather than the service entrance, I should use a right angle and continue the conduit into the house, correct? I'd like to reduce it from 1 1/2" to be able to fit through a more reasonable-size hole. What size conduit would still be comfortable with 4 #6 wires?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-13, 05:55 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
You could install a NEMA 3R junction box at the top of the 1 1/2" conduit and then change to 1" conduit to continue on to the panel. The least expensive way to do this is to use a 60 amp non-fusible air conditioning disconnect as the transition point between 1 1/2" and 1" conduit. You can remove and throw away the disconnect interior, you don't really need it. Through the back of the disconnect, knockout a the 1" KO and run 1" conduit directly through the rim joist and on to the panel.

I discussed this with an electrician before I started, and he said nothing about the THHN vs. THWN
Almost all THHN is dual rated as THHN/THWN, check yours to be sure since you already bought it.

Old 10-12-13, 08:17 PM
S
CasualJoe, I think you just saved me from a huge hassle. I'll check the wire tomorrow, but we bought it at Home Depot, and I just checked their website. The wire we bought is clearly dual rated.

I do have an AC disconnect, but I was going to use it inside the house to transition to Romex, which I think will be easier to run through the laundry and garage. Maybe I can find a 1 1/2 to 1" reducing fitting, then get a right angle for the top. The rim joist isn't an issue, I just have to deal with the brick. I should be able to drill/break a section that will accommodate the 1" conduit.

I've done quite a bit of wiring over the years, but nothing like this. I really appreciate your advice.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: