Light Wiring adding a switch

Old 10-13-13, 01:34 PM
Light Wiring adding a switch

I need some help with wiring. Check the diagram attached for a visual of how we have it wired now. This is all in a storage room of the basement, so all wires and lights are exposed for easy work.

My goal of the project is to add two florescent ballast light fixtures where Light 1 and 2 currently are. I also want to add a switch where light 2 is currently. I want light 1 and 2 to be controlled by the new switch.

If you look at light 2, you can see that the wire goes in into the wall to power other items. So, the cable actually goes through both light fixtures, and because they are pull off/on lights, the power can continue through them while they are off.

Looks like I'll need to re-route the wiring a bit so I can use the switch with the new lights.

1. Do I need to run a new line from the fuse box to the new switch, then out to Light 1 and 2? Then have a always on line running out from the new switch going through the wall on to the other items being powered?

2. Why type of wall switch do I need to buy to accomplish the stuff in number 1 above?

Or, do I need to be doing this a different way? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-13, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
You are going to need to replace the two wire cable between light one and two with a three wire cable. The switch can then go to either light.

The black will remain always live, the white will remain neutral and the red will carry switched power between the fixtures.

Old 10-13-13, 03:29 PM
So, you are saying this: Leave the two wire cable going to light one from the fuse box. Put a 3 wire cable between light 1 and 2. Then a 3 wire going to the switch.

Then how do I tie the cable going through the wall that needs constant power?

Old 10-13-13, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Can you take the wire that currently runs from light 2 to the receptacles and run it back to the new switch location. Then use a piece of three wire between light 2 and the new switch.

Old 10-13-13, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
This is another way but PJ's is best for what you have.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  16.4 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 10-13-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, both good help. I think ive got it.