NEC Requirement for bathroom circuits? Separate?

Old 10-13-13, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
NEC Requirement for bathroom circuits? Separate?

Just got all finished up with a remodel, and I see that i have a bathroom and a bedroom on a single 15A circuit. I also see that the GFCI outlets in the bathroom are on the same circuit. So...that breaker will kill everything in both room and bathroom, including all outlets. IS there an NEC code requirement for putting a bathroom on its own circuit or at least the receptacles?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-13, 10:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
IS there an NEC code requirement for putting a bathroom on its own circuit
The receptacles must be on a 20 amp circuit. Lighting if that circuit serves only one bathroom can also be on receptacle circuit or another non restricted circuit such as a lighting circuit. If the bathroom receptacle circuit serves more then one bathroom then lights must be on a separate circuit.

Old 10-14-13, 05:20 AM
OK, So, the lighting can be on the same circuit as another room and its outlets, but the bathroom outlets MUST be separated on their own 20A GFI circuit?

OR

The bathroom lights and outlets can be on their own 20A circuit?

If this is correct, do you have the NEC Code verbiage and number? Im having a HELL OF A TIME keeping an eye on my electrical contractor. I feel like I have to be an electrical inspector.

Old 10-14-13, 07:00 AM
210.11(C)(3)
Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at
least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to
supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall
have no other outlets.

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single
bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same
bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance
with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
FPN: See Examples D1(a), D1(b), D2(b), and D4(a) in
Annex D.

Old 10-14-13, 07:46 AM
OK, what about bedroom circuits? Is it OK to put lights and outlets on a single 15A circuit? Its purely dependent on load there right?

Old 10-14-13, 08:13 AM
Yes, it's ok. Seems these days with arc faults, house ropers are putting all bedrooms on one circuit except for the master BR.

I've seen 3 bedroom's lights and receptacles on one circuit, which is legal, just not practical IMO.

Old 10-14-13, 08:48 AM
Well, its a single bedroom and the bathroom lights (once I have them fix the outlets). The other giant room has three or four circuits in it for whatever reason. They actually failed to put an AFI on one of my bedrooms, which they will need to fix.

It really makes me wonder how many houses are wired out of code. I was an apprentice electrician for one summer in high school, so I have forgotten a lot of what I learned, but it is at least familiar to me. A homeowner that depends on an electrician is at his mercy, and it bugs me.

Old 10-14-13, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this the same "pro" that wired 2 electric tankless water heaters off a single 40A cable? I think you need to find a new electrician--that guy is a nut.

Old 10-14-13, 12:11 PM
Wait...wait...wait.....there is a misunderstanding. There is no wiring like that at all. My tankless heaters require TWO CIRCUITS a piece. He did not wire two on ONE circuit...ever. I may have been less than clear on that.

Old 10-14-13, 12:30 PM
There is no wiring like that at all. My tankless heaters require TWO CIRCUITS a piece. He did not wire two on ONE circuit...ever.
The subpanel counts as a circuit and that circuit is way undersize and has wire that is too small.

Old 10-14-13, 01:18 PM
Yes, I see what you mean. On the other thread, I posted two scenarios with questions about how to properly wire it. If you could help me out there, i would appreciate it simply because I want to make sure the thing is correct and safe. Either way, Im going to require my GC have the master electrician check and sign off on any and everything in writing.

This is a major electrical company, I dont know how many employees they have, and frankly, I don't know if the actual licensed electrician has been out here since he OK'ed the plans. The electrician does not do the wiring. I need to get him back out.

Old 10-14-13, 01:57 PM
The electrician does not do the wiring. I need to get him back out.
And that is your problem. The work should be done by an electrician not the guy from the labor pool.

Old 10-14-13, 02:38 PM
It's all about the dollar. Electricians around here don't operate like that typically. You can pay 4 guys to wire an entire house in a day for less money than a single licensed electrician...and that's exactly what they do. Your suggestion (and my wish) is unfortunately not the norm. I think what I have here is a case of lazy labor pools who know 99% of all homeowners will never realize a problem.

Old 10-14-13, 06:40 PM
Received 30 Votes on 24 Posts
I think what I have here is a case of lazy labor pools who know 99% of all homeowners will never realize a problem.
I think you are asking for trouble.