GFCI - Hot Tub Question

Old 10-14-13, 08:03 AM
GFCI - Hot Tub Question

I have a hot tub ran to a 50A Siemens GFCI breaker.
2 load (b/r)
1 neutral (w)

If hot tub is hooked up to breaker and neutral from breaker to neutral strip is connected, breaker trips.
If hot tub is hooked up to breaker and neutral from breaker to neutral strip is NOT connected, breaker doesn't trip but WILL trip with TEST button.

If neutral is unhooked from hot tub but 2 loads are left connected, breaker functions correctly (no tripping AND test button works to trip)

If only neutral is connected to hot tub(2 loads not connected to hot tub) and neutral from breaker to neutral strip is connected, breaker trips.

If all wires are disconnected from hot tub but wired at breaker, breaker functions correctly (no tripping AND test button works to trip)

Bad breaker, bad wire.....I am trying to make sense of all of this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-13, 08:18 AM
If you have a multimeter, with power off, disconnect neutral from hot tub at the panel and check for continuity between ground and neutral.

Old 10-14-13, 12:16 PM
Most common GFCI breaker problem

Is the tub:
-New or used?
-120/240 convertible or dedicated 220V only?
-3-Wire hookup or 4-Wire hookup?

Does it require three input wires or four? All tubs need to be grounded. Some tubs are dedicated 220V and do not use a neutral line.

If four wire hookup:

The LOAD NEUTRAL from the tub connects to the GFCI breaker. This is the most common mistake made when hooking up a hot tub.

The GFCI breaker should have a total of four wires attached. The neutral pigtail from the breaker is permanently attached and goes to the bus bar. L1, L2 and N from the tub all have lugs on the breaker. The neutral lug is often behind L1 or L2.

If you connected the neutral line from the tub to the bus bar, the GFCI breaker will trip if anything in the tub uses 120V (i.e., ozonator, light transformer, circulation pump, etc).

If three-wire-hookup:

Same as above except there is no neutral wire between the GFCI breaker and the tub (nothing connected to the Neutral lug on the GFCI breaker).

If the problem is not a misplaced neutral, you might have a genuine ground fault somewhere in the tub.

Troubleshoot by a process of elimination. Disconnect components until the GFCI breaker stays on. I would recommend disconnecting components in this order:

1. Ozonator (if installed - prone to water leaks)
2. Blower (if installed - prone to water leaks)
3. Heater (most likely problem - *disconnect both wires*)
4. Pump(s)