Proposed switched/non-switched outlet wiring

Old 10-15-13, 05:51 PM
Proposed switched/non-switched outlet wiring

Can someone tell me if this diagram would be safe and pass inspection should it be inspected? The two new hot wires to the outlet from the top and bottom of the switch would be run along the same 14/2 wire set. The Neutral/Ground wires for the new outlet would come from the chandelier on a second 14/2 set. The chandelier is switched on/off from another switch I didn't include in the diagram. THANKS!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All conductors of the circuit need to be run in the same raceway or cable. You cannot just pick up the neutral and ground while getting the hot from another location. You can do what you want, just not the way you have it drawn.

However, if the circuit is not grounded it should not be extended.

Old 10-15-13, 06:13 PM
The outlet will be located directly beneath that switch that is already there, however I don't have a neutral in the box. So I'm pretty much limited to running another 14/3 from one of the existing outlets to this new one I take it?

Old 10-15-13, 06:15 PM
The best way to do this safely is to run a new piece of 3-conductor cable from any of the existing half-switched receptacle boxes to the new location.

Old 10-15-13, 06:31 PM
Okay, thanks for the help. I think I may be just be putting in constant outlet instead.